Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a way?

Posted by njtea (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 15:02

I've got a 2004 Passat wagon. I live on north facing hillside with a steep, winding driveway. When we have a heavy snow, the driveway is plowed and I have no trouble with it, but with the pesky little 1-2" snowfalls of this winter, I am left to deal with driveway myself.

The car goes down the drive with no problem after a fresh snowfall, but I cannot get it back up until the drive has been liberally salted and sanded - which is very difficult for me to do.

I try to come up in drive with the ASR on and I don't get very far. Should I put the car in a lower gear and turn the ASR off? Or should I just plan to keep the car in the winter parking area at the foot of the hill until spring comes? :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a way?

Yes, absent a feathery touch on the accelerator pedal along with a good feel for avoiding wheel slippage getting the job done tire chains are the only likely solution.

o

Depends. Its a complex problem. If its an auto transmission and it downshifts you've had it. If you start up with an auto trans in too low a gear there's not enough speed and too much torque. You'll lose it.

If its a stick shift you can hit the hill fast then quickly upshift and mash your motor which gives you momentum and low torque.

If you've got a straight shot at the drive poop it up and hit the drive fast as you can and your momentum might get you all the way up along with constantly gently goosing the throttle lightly when the momentum starts to decrease. Takes practise. Helps to be born to it. That's w/o ASR. Never have drove that. Probly same technique tho.

If you have to turn at the bottom - park it.

Snowtires?

o

Not only that - it also depends on if its good snow or bad snow. If you can't tell the difference - park it. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here