Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whistle sound

Posted by johnoh (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 13:28

My 1993 Buick Century has begun making a whistling sound. It is a constant monotone, like a boiling tea kettle but not as loud or as high-pitched.

As best I can tell it coming from the rear of the car, or perhaps the middle, on the underside. It is constant regardless of rpms or whether the car is moving or stationary. The only way I can make it change is gets just a little softer if I apply the brakes (the brakes are working fine btw). Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whistle sound

i just listened with a stethoscope in the fuel filler hole and it is WAY louder, so I am thinking it is the fuel pump.

o

Mine does that periodically, but it goes away afetr a few minutes. If I open the gas cap it stops afterr the pressure is relieved. Seems like it does it more on hot days or when my tank is low on fuel. I assume it's the fuel pump. Not sure what it means though. It's done it for a couple years now, so assumed it wasn't serious - gues we'll see what the others on this site say.

o

A vaccuum leak? Either under-hood or under the dash.

A wind whistle driven by the heater fan. To check, turn off the heater/AC fan and listen for a change. May happen only with all doors closed.

Fuel pump whine?

Automatic transmission whine. Noise will change from neutral/park to any gear. Often caused by low fluid level.

Power steering pump whine, but the frequency of this one changes with engine speed.

o

There was a T.S.B. on that car and a possible recall for the fuel pump. I think it has already timed out so you could be paying yourself. Buick, pontiac, and olds were
involved. They weren't isolated properly and the pump would
telegraph noise to the tank. the pump will get noisier as the fuel filter clogs.

o
also pitch change with the brakes

As you step on the brakes there is a slight voltage drop
and the pump slows down. Hence the whine sounds different.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here