Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Repair Ford Focus Ignition Lock: Key won't turn

Posted by hardiso (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 27, 07 at 13:06

I repaired the ignition lock on my 2003 Ford Focus. I saved $280 to $320, which were quotes from Ford dealers. This is how I did it.

Problem was that the key would not turn. I ordered a new locking mechanism from the dealer. It cost me $50.00.

First I removed the plastic steering column cover with a Allan wrench. (Two Screws) I did not remove the steering wheel. However, it would have allowed for more room to work.

I removed the plastic electronic key reader from the locking device, with a Allan wrench.(One Screw). Don't lose the screw, the car won't start without it.

Then I drilled out the lock with a 10MM size drill. Took about an hour. Don't drill any deeper than 35MM. Mark it on the drill bit prior to drilling, and drill a starter hole, 3MM, prior to using the larger bit. Be careful not to damage the housing around the lock.

I removed the pieces of lock with needle nose plyers, and brushed the shavings from the lock with a small brush.(Kids watercolor brush) I then vacuumed around the steering column and floorboard.

I took the new lock to a locksmith, and had it keyed with the old key. The locksmith was very familiar with the Focus problems. This took no more than 30 minutes.

I placed the new lock in, and re-attached the plastic electronic key reader, screw and all, and started the car.

Good Luck.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Repair Ford Focus Ignition Lock: Key won't turn

Good story, but you left off what you paid the lock smith. If that was less than $50 you saved up to a couple of hundred, good if it didn't take more than a few hours. Here I accept it cost time to take the car to the dealer and to pick it up, so that time you pay either way.

Feels good to DIY and to save tax free dollars, great! Any dollar you save is yours, nothing goes to Uncle Sam or the Governor.

o
RE: DIY Repair Ford Focus Ignition Lock: Key won't turn

Thanks for the tip. I replaced the lock but didn't know the thing had to be reprogramed for the new keys . So what do you mean , " had it keyed with the old key" ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here