Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2004 Dodge Dakota Towing Capability

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 21, 07 at 11:55

It's too expensive right now to buy the hitch for our truck. Our friend wants to borrow the truck to pull his trailer (1,500 pounds). He thinks our truck can pull up to 2,000 pounds without a hitch. Does anyone know what the towing capability would be without a hitch? Any extra equipment needed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2004 Dodge Dakota Towing Capability

A Dakota even with the V6 will pull 1,500 lbs. The towing capacity for the V6 is 3,500 pounds including the weight of the trailer. The 4.7 V8 is 5,000 pounds.
But are you going to pull the trailer with a ball in the bumpber hole? You CAN do it but I wouldn't do it for a long distance or up many hills. And the trailer will be at an awkward and possibly dangerous angle considering the height of the bumpber.
And you'll need a wiring connector for the electrics. A "flat 4" wiring connector is fine for a lightweight trailer.

o

We have the 4.7 V8. Our friend is borrowing the truck, and he will use the ball, plus the wiring. He's a careful driver. Keeping our fingers crossed, though. Thanks for the help.

o

I agree with "christopherh". Yes it IS CAPABLE, however I wouldn't recomend it except for a short trip. Also, I would pay careful attention to the TONGUE WEIGHT of his trailer and make sure it isn't too much for the Bumper. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here