Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast idling Ford Focus

Posted by looser (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 10:42

I just had the clutch, clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder replaced in my 2005 Focus wagon.
When I picked up the car (from Ford) the idle was very high, starting at approx. 1800 rpm and then slowly going down to about 900. The Ford technicians told me that the computer was reset and had to relearn all the settings for idle. I have now driven about 180 miles and it doesn't seem to get any better.
Any idea what could be wrong?
I already have new spark plugs, had the throttle body cleaned, used fuel injection cleaner...to no avail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast idling Ford Focus

The idle is too high and the system has had plenty of chances to recalibrate itself. There could be a vacuum leak or they simply need to haul out the dealer's digital diagnostic tool and reset the idle speed.

The brake master cylinder was replaced. Did this also include the vacuum booster (power brake assist)? A vacuum leak is suspect. If there is a leak, the system may be adjusting the fuel mix to accomodate the extra air flow and the idle will be high. It tries to bring the idle speed down by reducing air flow through the Idle air control system (IACS), but if there is an air leak into the manifold, it will may not be able to control the speed to low enough value. It all depends on the size of the leak.

Take it back to the shop and tell them that it needs attention. If they again try to side step the issue, contact the zone manager or equivalent. If it was running normally before the repair work, use that information to further your case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here