SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

GMC Autolocking Differential in Reverse

jerry_nj
14 years ago

Well, this is the year to give my 2005 Chevy Colorado pick-up truck locking differential a real check-out/test.

It seems to me the truck has much less traction when starting from a stop in reverse than it does going forward. Is it possible that the automatic locking differential does not engage in reverse?

Comment (1)

• jerry_nj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll post to sent this item to the archives. As far as I'm concerned, the auto locking differential is great, at least when going forward. I need the reverse only when backing out of my parking place. I need the forward traction when coming up the hill on my driveway... and it works. The lock makes this pickup come up where I have seen front wheel sedans have trouble. This is especially true if I can find some strips of clear blacktop, one wheel in that track and I can't detect any slippage.

I recommend the ALD if you don't need AWD or 4WD. And, the ALD doesn't add any significant weight or friction - thus there is no loss in gas mileage that comes with AWD/4WD. The option cost is very low, as I recall. It was the main reason I bought the Colorado over a Ranger, Ford didn't offer a locking (rear) differential of any kind.

Sponsored