SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
majorxlr8n

Chevy Pickup Rod Knock

majorxlr8n
17 years ago

1996 Chevrolet Silverado C1500 with a 305 (5.0 liter) and only 56k miles. I need some input on a rod knock that has surfaced recently on my Chevy pickup. Actually, I've had this for a few years, but it never was as bad as it currently is. Its moderately loud when the engine is cold, but will disappear after a few minutes of running. Its more noticable during colder temps, and on a warmer day 40+ degrees, its only there for a few seconds.

Now, I'm sure its a single rod knock because it only happens under load & is rhythmic with engine speed. Oil pressure is excellent: 60 psi @ cold idle, 20 psi hot idle. I know what multiple knocking sounds like from poor oil pressure when cold, and its definitely ONE rod.

I think the pan could be dropped & the rod bearing replaced with the engine in the truck. If I go this route, I'm thinking of pulling a spark plug each time at cold restarts to isolate the bad rod, which may take eight attempts.

What would I expect to find when I disassemble? A scored bearing or a broken/split bearing? Could this solitary bearing simply be not getting enough oil when its cold?

Thanks for any and all input!

Marty

Comments (22)

• jemdandy
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How is the oil pressure? An sloppy bearing may cause a drop of oil pressure. You may be able to extend engine life by installing a high capacity oil pump. But first, you need to find out exactly if it is a loose rod and which end of the rod.

Piston slap can cause the same sound you have described. The difference is that piston slap does not affect oil pressure.

A little rattle on startup can be caused by the oil filter! If the design expects an anti-drain back valve in the oil filter and it has none or one that isn't working, then oil can drain out of the system after shut down. ( I had this experience years ago with a slant 6 Valiant engine. The Fram filters were ok, Autolite were not. Back then the dealer installed a secret fix. They installed an anti-drain back tube in the top of the oil pump.)

If you do drop the pan and discover a loose rod bearing, be sure to measure the crank throw with a micrometer in two perpendicular directions to check for out-of-roundness. If the crank throw is too far out of round, a new bearing will not fix the problem for long.

Question: Are you certain that the engine has never been oversped? Overspeeding can open up rod bearing and stretch rods.

• gary__
    17 years ago

Without hearing the noise it's hard to guess. My past experience has been that a rod knock or wrist pin problem doesn't go on for years. You can try pulling off plug wires one at a time to see if it changes the sound. IF there is a rod bearing problem bad enough that you can hear, I wouldn't goof around with trying to drop the pan and change the bearing. Too many other things are wrong if the bearing is bad. Rods and crank throws get out of round on a good engine. Odds are a fix consisting of replacing a bad bearing alone in a bad engine wouldn't help. My observation in the past has been that a bad rod bearing doesn't really affect oil pressure much if any. Way bad main bearings and cam bearings do. Sounds like your oil pressure is good anyway.

Without hearing the noise, odds are it's a lifter or rocker arm issue. Could be a piece of carbon bouncing around on a piston too. If it were mine, I'd start by pulling plug wires one at a time to see if the noise changes on any one in particular. If not, I think I might give a can of carbon blaster a try, though that might be hard to do on your engine. I don't know how it's configured. The next thing I'd do is pull the valve covers, just one if you know which side's the problem, start the engine and push down on each rocker on the push rod end. You'll find it if that's the problem. Also look at the push rods to see if any are bent. Tip, if you do this, first buy the little clip things that fit over the rockers and plug the oil holes so oil doesn't squirt everywhere. If you find the source of the noise that way, then you can decide how much trouble it's worth to you. Replacing the lifter would require removing the intake. Some GM engines in the past have had a tendency to wear at the point that the rocker arm touches the valve stem. A notch can wear into the rocker at that point and can be noisy as it hits the high spot and slips off. The fix for that problem is replace that rocker.

In the days before fuel injection, a bad fuel pump could make a pretty big banging sound too. I'm sure yours is new enough for that not to be it.

Those are my brain storming ideas. Good luck.

• Related Discussions

The dreaded Push rod on a Brigs 24HP Craftsman DT4000

Q

Comments (28)
    The two that pushed the valve guide down... The push rod was bent at the top and still in the valve guide... Yes to spot weld the guide on inside of the head "I" have to removed the head... That is why I said you need head gasket... I let the customer say what they wanted to pay for... I have fixed many of these engines for people... Most wanted them fix to sale and get something better... The one that wanted them fix to keep using them paid for the spot weld fix and all new gaskets... The ones wanting it fixed to get rid of just paid for the push rod fix... I just ruffed up the valve guide and put loctite red and knocked the valve guide back down in place adjusted the valves and they sold it... Some I fished the push rod out, some I could not get it out... If they wanted me to open it up and remove the push rod I did but that cost a lot more... Some used them till the summer mowing season was over then sold them... some are still using them... The right fix is new redesigned head push rods and gaskets... Split the engine, new oil and filter adjust valves... I have replaced engines on some that is what the customer wanted... I fixed the first one for my father in law... Then I put an ad Craigs List and it went from there... Now I working on every thing in my spare time...
    ...See More

Used car pricing rip offs give me a headache

Q

Comments (24)
    You can just buy a used instrument cluster with the mileage you want it to show from a wrecker. I don't believe that'll work for some of the digital ones, at least not the GM ones, because they store the VIN inside all of the computer modules and that may include the instrument cluster. At power-on all of the modules compare their VIN with each other, if one doesn't match the vehicle may not even start. Supposedly the GM modules aren't reprogrammable once the VIN has been stored. But I noticed that rebuilt units are available, so I would think that someone has figured it out. So I guess the correct statement would be that they're not field-reprogrammable.
    ...See More

Chevy Trailblazer (5 pass) cargo

Q

Comments (3)
    At auction, I was able to buy some fairly nice workbenches for 0.35 cents ! Transported them with the VW Diesel pickup. Sill, Diesel mileage or not, Johndeere has a good point.. BTW, despite the rather large size of this Chevrolet SUV, I'll bet the bench did not fit...
    ...See More

1999 C2500 Vortec 5.7 Rod Knock

Q

Comments (7)
    Now we have some information to work from. Case history isn't always so critical, but in this case it genuinely is. If we were playing chess, this would compare to a discovered check. When you removed the intake manifold, that allowed the already stressed engine block to relax. Then when you torqued the manifold back down, especially if you didn't use the correct torque sequence, and the very specific torque settings, you pulled the line bore out of spec which causes wear in the main bearings, and it then starves a(the) rod bearing(s). As pro's we have debated the actual cause of the bearing failures after an intake issue for a few years running. Engineers are certain that it is our fault blaming us for failing to torque the intake correctly, and twisting the block. However I suspect the block distorts and contributes to the gasket failure in the first place, and the replacement simply finishes it off. Of course the coolant in the oil does very little to help the situation. To repair this correctly, it needs to be pulled, stripped down and the block, heads, connecting rods, crankshaft all sent out to the machine shop. The block should be line bored (camshaft and crankshaft) and possibly decked. The connecting rods should be re-sized so that the bearings "crush" properly when installed. The heads resurfaced, the valves and seats machined. Then hone the cylinders, fit new rings to the pistons, inspect the camshaft, and see if it is still serviceable. If not the cam and lifters also need replaced. Add a timing chain and a new oil pump and of course, you have completely rebuilt the engine all because it "lost a rod bearing". If here in the shop I attempted to do a bearing slap, and it failed (which there is a 70% or better chance that it will fail) I would then be expected to make it right, and the rebuild is what would be required. The problem is the block has stressed, and now relaxed back into a different shape than it was when it was first built. This causes the crankshaft to be bent when it turns like a drill bit that is being pushed on too hard. Of course the reason the crankshaft is getting bent is because the main bearings don't line up anymore, unfortunately it's not something you can see by eye, and if you pulled the engine and did a crank and bearing kit, without having the line bore corrected you would likely end up with a broken crankshaft somewhere down the road. Now will slapping a set of bearings buy you some time? It's possible, in fact the problems that some engines tolerate instead of them self destructing over is pretty amazing. That simple fact is why people attempt bearing slaps, and occasionally get away with doing so. At the same time when the bearing slaps fail, as this one might, without extensive experience all someone could try to do is attempt to guess if the work wasn't done right.
    ...See More
  • john_g
    17 years ago

There are no easy answers for this repair. I can just see all of the arm chair mechanics saying "If he knew what he was doing".

Years ago, shops/mechanics would try to diagnose and slip in bearings. History showed that success was random at best, with engines surviving that really should not have, and engines failing when they by all visual means should have survived.

The techs that had high success rates, pulled the engine. They removed the crankshaft, and all of the connecting rods so that complete proper inspections could be performed. A connecting rod that is losing a bearing usually needs resized, in otherwords it will not properly crush the new bearings if you simply try and swap them. Plus most of the time a connecting rod fails, the source of the problem is actually the main bearing associated with it, which needs to feed oil to the crankshaft, which then feeds the rod bearing. As mentioned by one of the other responders, the crankshaft also needs carefully inspected. In fact it needs checked in six points, not just two, and that's difficult to do in the car, because you can only get the connecting rod just so far away from the crank. That's why they say check two points, it gives you a 30% chance of confirming damage. It does NOT confirm the crank is not damaged.

So that brings us back to the arm chair mechanics. One will say you should do what your thinking, just try and replace the bearing. Who knows, you might just be lucky and it works. Another would say you should just get a reground crank and fitted bearings. That would be true but you could be ignoring the blocks line bore, and the connecting rods sizing. In the end this all boils down to the fact that it is going to take a machinist to clean, test, and service all of the parts for you to do this right. Just to have some arm chair mechanic say "you didn't need to spend all of that money, they are ripping you off you could have just slipped a bearing in it".

In the shop, we rarely do this level of work anymore. Too many experts out there looking over our shoulders, too many things that can go wrong, and not enough profits for us to be able to aford to stand behind our work. I have a car in the shop right now, the block is warped .004 across the cylinder head deck. I don't have deep enough pockets to risk pulling it out, tearing this down, sending it out to the machine shop and then rebuilding it and give the customer a "fair" warranty. In otherwords, if I do it and it's perfect, everyones happy. If I do it and one thing goes wrong, I can't afford to make it right, so I have to refuse the repair. The customer on his side, does not want to spend the money to have a remanufactured engine installed. A reman engine comes with a warranty from the rebuilder, that takes the risk off of me. It's also $4000 installed.

So that leaves this 40,000 mile car staring at getting an 80,000+ mile used engine installed, with a 90 day part only warranty. It's getting towed to an auto wrecker, and their "mechanic" is going to do it.

• kalining
    17 years ago

Hi John. While you are here i have a situation that you might have an answer for or anyone out there. Wife's 94
    3.8 taurus has had 3 engines in it in 2 years. I've rebuilt them all. First engine was a complete burn out
    when the head gaskets went. first time in my life i've ever
    seen a crank burnt purple. Both mains and rods. 404,000
    K.M. original before i pulled it. ( bought used ) I sent out the block. Hot tanked, checked for warpage and line bore. O.K. " NEW " crank kit. NEW cam bearings and NEW counter balance bearings. NEW timing chain kit and tentioner kit. NEW rings " pistons were fine " rods resized. Valves done, Heads checked ok. NEW oil pump. No ware on the lifters ( roller cam ). Yes i put the lifters back in the same direction. The engine was assembled with
    rebuilding lub and the oil system was spun up and pre primed. Knocked instantly on start up but quietened down.
    Started knocking on startup about 1 year later. Pulled it again. #3 rod hammered out. Again NEW crank kit and rechecked rods. Wrist pins and pistons fine. 4 months later knocking again but knocks only when it feels like it. May knock for a week in a row or just one day and not
    knock again for 5 months or more. 80 oil pressure when cold
    60 hot running, 45 hot idle. There is no end slap on the
    crank. What do you figure ? OH. man, i just realized i
    hijacked someone's tread. Sorry about that.

• majorxlr8n
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Guys - I really appreciate all the input here!

I beared the bitter cold & wind chill today & did some inspecting. This noise that sounds like a rod knock may not be so. The sound was not that loud when I was underneath the truck, but was louder near the front at topside. I'm thinking maybe a bad serpentine belt or some accessory (even the balancer) connected to the belt.

If the weather cooperates Friday, I'll remove the belt & report my findings...

Again, MUCH thanks!
    Marty

• john_g
    17 years ago

Hi kalining

My first question is, when you assembeled the engine, did you plastigage every bearing to measure clearance? Some re-ground cranks have bearings of different sizes, and occasionally the machinist does not send a .011 or a .012 for the odd small journal. The next thing to consider as you are building the short block. The crankshaft, and it's bearing and seals alone will spin with almost no force at all. As each piston and rod are installed, the torque required to turn the crank a full revolution climbs. A seasoned tech will "feel" if one of the rods when installed suddenly raises the required torque an uncommon amount. I always advise someone without a lot of experience to actually measure the torque required to turn, and keep turning the crankshaft at a steady speed. Some of the really dumb things that can happen and ruin a rebuild is dirt/debris on the back side of a bearing insert. Everyone knows to keep the front (crank) side of the bearing clean, they often forget about the back (rod) side. I once was building a 2.8l V-6 that when I installed one of the rods, the crank became almost impossible to turn. The problem was some kind of varnish that is on the back side of the bearing insert had a bubble in it and caused a tight spot. By paying attention to the build, this was simply a nuicense, and not the potential cause of a complete rebuild failure. BTW, as a tech, there are no rewards for not getting burned by a suprise like this, only punishments if you get caught in it's trap.

Now you say, wrist pins and pistons fine. I'll say, objectively, how do you "know that for sure"? You could easily have a collapsed skirt, and be getting some piston rock, which will sound a lot like a rod bearing. Piston rock (slap) normally only occurs once every other crank rotation, but there are engines that make their own rules.

With engine noises I have to really trust my hearing, and the ability to tell what direction a sound came from. Locating the noise, left VS right, forward or back, high or low is critical before teardown.

• gary__
    17 years ago

kalining, I gotta ask, why are we rebuilding an extremely high miler '94 Taurus? For fun? In my area they're not worth much when running well. Engine or more often transmission trouble and they're scrap iron. Just curious.

If that happened to me, after the 1st rebuild didn't last, I'm afraid I'd have to take a sledge hammer to the whole car just to make me feel better. LOL!

• kalining
    17 years ago

Actually, Gary, didn't have much choice. Wife bought it off of a so called friend at work after her car was written off. Body was immaculate and perfect interior. Still is. She couldn't afford anything else that actually
    had a body left. John. Pistons and the entire engine was sent to the machine shop. They assembled the rings and all
    bearings. All they do is rebuild engines and race cars.
    The only thing i can think of is that engine has hydrolic
    motor mounts and if one started leaking after the rebuild it will sound like a knock. The bore is at the factory
    max with original pistons. Probably piston slap. I probably have to do the trans. this summer so i'll recheck the mounts. I can do an entire trans for $500.00 Canadian with converter. I've got most of the parts here anyway so no biggy. Have too much money into this so can't stop now. I used to work at a rebuilder so this is something i've never seen or heard before. You wouldn't believe the slop work and short cuts i've seen. They never had an engine come back. Well, not to my knowlage anyway. Thanks for the input guys. I'll look again this summer. That might be on a sunday so hopefully i don't have a hangover and sleep through it. P.S. crank and pistons turned at 20 lbs.
    Assembled engine with heads broke loose at 50 lbs. and turned at 35.

• DNT1
    17 years ago

kalining it sounds like you may need a rev limiter the little woman may be getting frisky out on the road and over revving that bad boy.

• blue_fastback
    17 years ago

What you are descrbing is piston slap and not a rod knock. As the engine warms up, the piston will expand and fit tighter in the bore which your noise will disappear. if it was a rod nock, the noise might be loud when first started becuase of lack of oil on the bearing but would probly turn quiet after a few seconds as the oil pressure rises. then the rod knock would get more noticeable as the engine heats to due to the oil thinning out.

• candy1965
    17 years ago

Posted by blue_fastback (My Page) on Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 9:01

What you are descrbing is piston slap and not a rod knock. As the engine warms up, the piston will expand and fit tighter in the bore which your noise will disappear. if it was a rod nock, the noise might be loud when first started becuase of lack of oil on the bearing but would probly turn quiet after a few seconds as the oil pressure rises. then the rod knock would get more noticeable as the engine heats to due to the oil thinning out.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WOW ,You can tell all that from a few paragraphs ?! PLEEEEEZE, Anyone that responds the way you have certainly DOES NOT KNOW.

• blue_fastback
    17 years ago

What makes you far more superior then me candy1965? Why is it that the way I responded certaintainly DOES NOT KNOW? I sorry you find my OPINION so wrong. Did you listen to the Chevy pick up? I didnt. I heard symptoms. I dont see any post from you you on this subject except on slamming me! Please tell me more.

• candy1965
    17 years ago

Posted by blue_fastback (My Page) on Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 17:45

What makes you far more superior then me candy1965? Why is it that the way I responded certaintainly DOES NOT KNOW? I sorry you find my OPINION so wrong. Did you listen to the Chevy pick up? I didnt. I heard symptoms. I dont see any post from you you on this subject except on slamming me! Please tell me more.
    =======================================================================================================================

Blue:

Did I EVER SAY that I was "FAR MORE SUPERIOR" ? NO !
    The reason I said you didn't know is because you act as though you know EXACTLY what the problem is based on some written info and having NEVER HEARD THE ENGINE ! My experience has always been that someone with your kind of"I KNOW WHATS WRONG & THIS WILL FIX IT" attitude, is almost ALWAYS WRONG ! Did I say that I heard the Engine ? NO, YOU STUPID PHUCK ! Now STFU !!!

• majorxlr8n
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Blue Fastback - I think you nailed it...

I finally removed the serpentine belt to not only quiet down the engine compartment, but to also see if any peripherals were the cause. The noise was still there.

I did some research & apparently the 1990's Chevy V8's are notorious for piston slap.

Looks like I'll be "short blocking" this at some point down the road when/if it grenades.

I thank you all for the input!
    Marty

• blue_fastback
    17 years ago

Hey Marty,

I dont think the engine will grenade but again I dont know how loud your noise is. Piston slap from GM's standard is "normal". I myself hate noise and would fix it but unless that piston skirt is broke, its just going to rattle until the engine warms up. This is what I would do. First losen all the spark plug wires from the spark plugs before starting the engine. Then start the engine and remove the plug wires one by one and see if the noise deminishes so you can try and locate the offending cylinder. I myself would after finding the noisey piston is pull the head off and remove the oil pan and pull out the piston and replace it. With the low mileage you have and the good oil pressure you speak off, the engine is worth saving. It would take a Saturday to do and $100 in materials and maybe a twelve pack of beer. If the motor was high mileage and used oil with noisey lifters then I would think twice about just putting in a new piston. I dont know how handy you are but this is what I would do. Honestly, its hard to get a good reman engine now a days. Let me know if I can be of help.

Mark

• candy1965
    17 years ago

Posted by blue_fastback (My Page) on Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 19:57

(QUOTE):
    ""Piston slap from GM's standard is "normal".""

PISTON SLAP- NORMAL ? Oh sure, didn't EVERYONE know that all good engines have thier fair share of Piston slap ? Where did you learn that crap, at "GOMER NIPPLEDICKS SCHOOL OF DIPSHIT ENGINEERING & CAR FIXIN".

(QUOTE)):

"I myself hate noise and would fix it"

THEN WHY DON'T YOU START BY LETTING THAT BIG CUT UNDER YOUR NOSE HEAL. THAT SHOULD QUIET THINGS DOWN ALOT !

(QUOTE):

"It would take a Saturday to do and and maybe a twelve pack of beer."

THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS, A "DRUNK LOUDMOUTH" CLAIMING TO KNOW HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM
    AND HE WONDERS WHY I DOUBTED HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

• gary__
    17 years ago

**""Piston slap from GM's standard is "normal".""

PISTON SLAP- NORMAL ? Oh sure,**

Blue fastback is correct. Though I wouldn't use the term normal, 'not unusual' would be a better choice of words since they don't all do it. A higher number than one would expect of late model gm engines have a knock. There are a couple (out of many) company trucks at my work that do this. One employee I know of purchased a brand new Suburban a few years back that does this. They have knocked practically from the time they were brand new. These vehicles are much newer than the posters truck so they may have different issues. I don't know. The work trucks have quite a few miles on them by now and have been run hard. So far whatever is making the noise hasn't led to any catostrophic failures. It would be annoying if one purchased a vehicle new and it did this even if the engine life wasn't affected. What happens if you want to sell it? You say, runs great and it does. Perspective buyer asks what's that noise? You say it's nothing. Perspective buyer says like you '65, uh huh, sure.

If you want to troll or flame please go somewhere else. The regular posters on this board aren't that way.

• blue_fastback
    17 years ago

Here is a link that I thought that might be of interest. This does not pertain to the 5.7 engine but newer GM vehicles that G.M. says is "normal". I myself did not say that piston slap was "normal". Read this if you own a late model V6 or V8 engine.

http://www.pistonslap.com/

Here is a TSB that GM had on the 7.4 "normal" noise.

Bulletin 77-61-21

ENGINE TICK/KNOCK/RATTLE NOISE(NORMAL CONDITION)

"Some owners may comment about a light tick or knock noise that resembles either a valve lifter tick/rattle or a piston or piston pin slap. The condition will be most noticeable on cold start. This noise may be present upon engine decel after initial starting flare and may not be consistantly repeatable. This condition has no assignable cause at this time and as a result no repairs should be attempted. Although the noise may sound unusual, there is no indication that this will in any way affect the durability or longevity of the engine. Etc,etc ,etc"

This is another TSB that GM put ont on certain engines.

Engine - Cold Knock, Replace Oil Filter/Bearings/PROM
    Notes
    File In Section: 6 - Engine

Bulletin No.: 37-61-XXX

Date: October, 1995

Subject:
    Cold Engine Knock (Replace Oil Filter/Bearings/PROM)

Models:
    1990-97 Chevrolet and GMC Truck C/K, R/V, S/T, M/L, G, P Models
    1991-92 Oldsmobile Bravada
    with 4.3L (VIN Z - RPO LB4), 5.7L (VIN K - RPO L05),
    7.4 (VIN N - RPO L19) Engine

This bulletin is being revised to add the 1997 model year information.

Condition

Some late model truck engines have been reported to exhibit "cold knock" on start up. "Cold Knock" usually occurs after the vehicle has been completely warmed up, then parked for 8 or more hours in ambient temperatures of 35F or less. "Cold knock" can be separated into three distinct categories.

1. Short Duration - Harsh, deep metallic knock that usually lasts from 1 to 10 seconds. Generally classified as a bearing or rod knock.

1. Valve Train - Light clatter, tick or click that may last up to 1 minute.
    2. Piston Slap - Metallic knock that occurs only under load. Piston slap may last as long as 5 minutes.

The above is a reprint from G.M. their definitions on engine noise.

G.M. has also came out with a T.S.B. to recalibrate the pcm (on some models) check with your G.M. dealer
    Updated March, 1999 #77-61-21 The recalibration is to reduce or retard the timing which will take some of the pressure off the pistons so they wont slap in the bore and knock. They figure reprograming the PCM is a lot cheaper then new pistons or a new short block in 1000's of vehicles.

Candy,
    Do you always get this excited over a post on the internet? You still have provided no useful information on this subject and continue to slam me. You know nothing about me or my knowledge about cars. All this is a friendly discussion on what might be, based on given symptoms.Instead "Mr. Helper" decides to chime in and give us all his opinion from GOMERS point of veiw.

• john_g
    17 years ago

Hey, you can't have all of this fun without me!! VBG

Seriously some of what is being said about piston slap is true. Piston slap alone is NOT a reason to tear an engine down and do a repair. Piston slap is in fact normal on a cold engine because aluminum expands faster than the cast iron engine block. if the piston is tight enough cold, it will be too tight when warmed up. Piston slap should a repair actually be indicated actually does not even mean that a piston needs to be replaced! If the problem is a collapsed skirt, it can in many cases be "knurled" and reshaped to take up the slightly excessive clearance. A knurled piston is one that has many tiny marks made into it's surface, that cause the outer edges of the mark to rise up. Sort of like the way a center punch makes a "crater" in a piece of metal. These two links give both a description of knurling, and an actual application.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knurling
    http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/international_v8_engines.htm

Now the one big problem I have with this thread is the idea that $100 in parts, a saturday, and a twelve pack of beer is all that is required to make the noise go away. I do understand the perception that to the right person pulling and reinstalling a piston isn't difficult to do but the reality is to do it right is in fact much different. This is a job where a very simple mistake can cause a major engine failure after the attempt. Plus if it's 4WD just getting the oil pan off and back on will take up most of your staurday, and that's if you have a hoist. People have been successful simply replacing a piston(s) in chassis but not always successful at eliminating piston noise or slap. That's because the piston is only half of the equation, cylinder wear or taper could easily be coming into play, and I would leave those checks/measurements up to a qualified machinist. Plus we still have the little issue of pressing the piston pin through the rod. Very few shops have the equipment to do that, let alone DIY's. There are many traps lurking in this repair that can make the whole attempt go south in a hurry. One common trap is as simple as not torquing the intake manifold in the correct order! An incorrect torque sequence distorts the engine block, and that changes the line bore of the engine resulting in main bearing/camshaft bearing wear. The $64,000 question from there is, does the resulting wear end up causing the engine to actually fail? Sometimes it does, and sometimes it does not.

Lastly, stroke length plays a role in piston slap issues. The longer the stroke, the more often a piston skirt has to be shortened for clearance issues. Cylinder block deck height and other design issues can also impact piston design. The longer that the skirts can be, the less likely it is that piston slap is likely to occur. Although think about it, the longer the skirts, the greater the piston mass and you start impacting engine efficiency due to inertial, and frictional losses. Plus you can impact RPM and horsepower. It's all an intricate dance that even the manufactures are not going to be perfect at every time. That's why we have tolerances, and some things (noises) are allowable even if they are not completely desireable.

• ase_tech
    16 years ago

LOL I just stumbled across this thread and it gave me a good laugh. That (blue_fastback) fella is quite a character. I mean cmon, a 12 pack of beer on a sat. ??? No thanks, I'll fix it myself

• Vincent Richardson
    8 years ago

Just wasted ten minutes reading a bunch of idiots comments .thank you dam clowns

• Cody Nez
    6 years ago

Could be a bent connecting rod,

broken piston skirt, or a bearing. Whatever it is its gonna be expensive

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling