Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ford plastic intake manifold failure settlement

Posted by daisy7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 23:03

Is anyone else caught up in this one?

Last summer ours failed, leaving us stranded in the desert in 110 heat, miles from the closest town. Thankfully we were able to use the cell phone and call our son.

It was determined the plastic manifold was at fault and it was replaced. Later, we had a notice in the mail from Ford.

When we contacted the dealership where we bought the car and had replaced the manifold, they told us our 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis was out of warranty and they would not refund the cost of the replacement manifold.

A 1997 model wouldn't still be under the original warrenty, would it? And the only extended warranty they talk about is the one Ford is giving under certain circumstances.

Am I just SOL on this one? I wouldn't be upset except had our cell phone not worked that day, we senior citizens would have surely died by the side of the road.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ford Manifold Settlement

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ford plastic intake manifold failure settlement

There is no doubt that you will have to apply the pressure, record work orders, names, dates, all info, and really learn on Ford.
They may succumb...or they may not, IMO, rightfully..

They should know better about using plastics in this environment, its is far too risky..And maybe it was something else, not the plastic directly(but this matters not to the car-owner)....

I read that the warranty was extended to 7 years; after that the consumer pays for his mistake ??

IF this manifold was such a serious problem, Ford should have notified all of the owners of the plastic manifold cars for at least inspection and advice, but then this would have ended up as being the free replacement of manifolds..
Just how long should these parts last, anyway ????

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here