SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cainlawrence

car accident help

cainlawrence
17 years ago

Just my luck, I hit a parked van in the parking lot tonight. I seriously don't want to go as far as to take this to the insurance... because I already have an impending case on a car accident that occurred months ago (that one accident wasn't my fault). Anyway, I called up the owner of the van and they wanted to file a police report. They accepted that I would pay for the damages without insurance, but they said the police report was for backup since many people refuse to pay if the damage costs are too high (which is understandable). I checked out the damages on both my car and their van. For the oddest reason, there is absolutely no visible damage on my car. However, their van's left headlight is a little pushed in, there are a few small scratches, and the internal plastic plate underneath (beside/on top of the left tire) was broken off. I think it's because I had hit their van from an angle, that their van had had some of those damages. They say that their van had moved a little from the way they had parked it because it was sorta off angle, and they hypothesized that there might be some internal damages.

I'm wondering what I should do? I took photos of the scene, including the damages. I do plan on paying for it. I myself need to file a report tomorrow, but I'm more worried about the costs that I might have to end up paying for this. It's not that I won't or don't want to pay because by all means, this is my fault. But I'm scared of getting ripped off by these car body shops who'd take down and repair a car in a way that's more costly than it should end up being. I'm planning on going to whatever garage the other owners are taking their van too, and see how it is. Any advice anyone can offer me?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz