Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safety of cars' keyless entry and ignition systems questioned

Posted by dreamgarden (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 19:38

If you have a vehicle that uses keyless entry then you might find this article of interest.

Safety of cars' keyless entry and ignition systems questioned
By Ralph Vartabedian and Ken Bensinger
January 24, 2010

The technology is popular but quirky and there is no universal standard. Its problems are potentially serious.

A link that might be useful:

latimes.com/news/la-fi-carkeys24-2010jan24,0,7044389.story

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safety of cars' keyless entry and ignition systems questioned

I agree. Autos with keyless start and run systems should have a kill switch in a standardized location. To do otherwise is dangerous. And that kill switch should duplicate the mechanical key-switch by having a direct mechanical link that cuts off power to the ignition. Interrupting the coil circuit of a relay (that might be stuck) is not positive enough. Pressing and holding the start buttom for a few seconds just won't do either.

Hang onto your hats and crash helments; There's more in the pipeline. A few well known auto companies are developing steer by wire- that's right - No mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering linkage. Steering is accomplished by all electric drives or an electric-hydrulic arrangement. Does this mean you loose steering if you loose electrical power? I don't know, but I'd have to know a lot about any such systems before I drove it, and then I'd like to restrict it to a track, not a public road. Right now, it seems like a disaster waiting in the wings.

o
RE: Safety of cars' keyless entry and ignition systems questioned

>>It also benefits older people who have difficulty removing keys from their pockets or turning a key in a lock.<<

Aww.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here