Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Checking Motor Oil Levels

Posted by ggalv (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 2, 07 at 18:20

I have a 1996 Honda Accord Lx. When checking the motor oil level should it be checked when the car is hot or when it has it cooled off? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Checking Motor Oil Levels

Does not make much difference. Either way is OTAY.

o

I have a 2002 Intrepid with the 2.7. I have to check it cold, after sitting over night. If I check it after it has been running, it will show 1/2 qt low. This could possibly come into play on other engines also.

o

My belief is that the truest reading is taken after the engine has been run and then been off for a short period. Oil that is pumped from the pan through the engine has a little time to run back into the pan.

However, the difference between readings should be less than the "hatched" range at the full level, so as Semper Fi said it really doesn't matter that much.

o

The Toyota manual I have clearly states the reading should be taken 5 minutes after the engine has been turned off.

My Peugeout dipstick has two markings : Hot and Cold.

o

"My Peugeout dipstick has two markings : Hot and Cold."

Interesting! Too bad the hot mark never gets used on a Peugeout since they don't run long enough!!!

Sorry... the emotional scars are showing. My dad used to LOVE those things. I think I was adopted! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here