Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Traction Control OFF

Posted by bucky (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 16:58

The traction control system on my 96 Buick has been cutting on and off this winter and has finally quit working altogether. The dash light showing traction control off is now on constantly. The ABS brakes are working fine. The front wheel hubs that contain the electronic ABS sensors were replaced a few years ago. The computer doesn't show a trouble code. Any ideas as to what would cause this problem?

Thanks a lot: Bucky2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Traction Control OFF

Not without initiating diagnostics. The Traction Control system is an integral part of the ABS system. On the surface it would seem odd to lose TCS, and not also lose the ABS. However, the TCS system can be shut down for some problems that are fuel injection system, and/or transmission system related which still allows for the ABS to function. This is one of the potential problems where trying to work with anything less than the factory scan tool (GM Tech II) is likely to not help you at all.

Start the diagnostics by polling EVERY module for trouble codes. An example where the TCS will shut down and still have ABS would be a loss of communication between the ABS controller and the PCM. (fuel injection computer) There are a lot more possibilities over that one.

o
RE: Traction Control OFF

Thanks john. I didn't think it could be anything simple. Looks like the Riv is on its way to a GM shop. As a matter of interest, my local GM dealership where I bought the Riviera brand spanking new in 96 is now a dadgummed KIA DEALERSHIP!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here