Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saturn Coupe sunroof water leak

Posted by busyasabee (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 14:41

I have a 1997 Saturn Coupe, and having issues with water leaking in the driver's and passenger foot area. I'm suspecting it might be seal around sunroof. I checked the front portion of sunroof by the visor and found the area was wet; back portion was dry. The front carpet around the driver and passenger was soaked, however seats were dry, as well as the back section of the car. Got a dryvac and sucked up about a gallon of water from car.
Any suggestions on how to resolve this water leak issue? Is it expensive to fix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saturn Coupe sunroof water leak

I think the seal is there to more or less prevent wind noise.
Probably the sunroof drain tubes are clogged - common with sunroofs.
I do not know if these can be effectively blown out or not.
Better to try a wire snake, carefully..

o

Water can enter from other sources: Windshield seal, and the drip pan in the air conditioner. The drip pan will overflow if its drain tube gets clogged. A third source is a corrosion hole under the air intakes below the wipers.

Windshield leaks are best found using a helper. One of you sprays the seals of the windshield with a garden hose nozzle while the other observes inside the car [while lying in very awkward poitions - yogi helps :)]

While you got the helper, also spray the edges of the sun roof.

o

Earthworm ~ thanks for the info. I finally took my car to the Saturn dealer, and the issue was that the sunroof drain lines were clogged. The technician re-routed sunroof drain line and resealed sunroof at a cost of $160.

I thought this price was a little too high, but had no choice but pay amount....I was tired of having a mini-flood in car everytime it rained!

o

If the guy actually found and fixed your water leak for $160 imo it's a bargain.

o

I agree, Gary
The sunroof is a luxury item, and as such it needs periodic maintainence, as do all items..
I believe the Saturn dealers are known for honesty, as far as I know..
Just think of what you could have saved by being a DIY..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here