Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dodge power steering pump

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 13:54

ok, son is away at school. duluth, mn avg high temp is 15f or so. no garage. 160 miles away. 2k dakota. says power steering fluid is low. added 1/2qt and is low again 1 week later. says it appears to be wet around pump. pump was changed 3yrs ago. 4.7 motor. has plastic reservoir which has o-ring. remaned pump is $100. no resv though. used assy with resv is also $100. what is the route here? he is very busy at school. no time to come home. tell him to keep adding fluid til he has time? put used assy on in duluth, outside? new pump means i have to dig up a pulley puller. and than remount resv tank. no big deal. go for it. I don't want to pay a shop $$ to do it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dodge power steering pump

It would simplify things if your son could identify exactly where the leak is. The leak may be at one of 4 places: 1) Shaft seal of the pump, 2) low pressure hose, 3) high pressure hose, and 4) the filler cap.

It could be nothing more than a loose hose clamp. But then, it could be the hose or the pump seal which would require service in a heated shop. (Its cold in Duluth right now. I live about 250 mi SE of Duluth and its too cold here to work on a vehicle our-of-doors - danger of frost bite.)

If its not a loose hose clamp, bite the bullet and have your son make a reservation with a local repair shop. From the information of this post, I assume the leak is at the pump location and not at the power steering unit. it will not heal itself and your son will have to keep adding fluid. That fluid is going somewhere and in this case, its wetting the engine compartment. The longer this goes on, the bigger the mess. Power steering fluid is a solvent for a number of automotive coatings, the paint being one.

o

We will barely mention the fact that this leaking fluid is being released to the enviroment.

o

little more info. it was a little low on thanksgiving when he was home. over christmas i flushed out the fluid and added atf4. dodge says to use atf4 now if you do a full flush. put in over a qt. i drained out fluid thru the return line and made double sure the clamp was on right. area around pump did not look wet when i did the flush. murphys law says it will break/leak after you fiddle with it. i can drive up and fix it or he can drive down. only about $20 extra in gas for his truck compared to my car. than i can use my garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here