SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bucky_gw

OBD 11 Trouble Code #P1441

bucky
18 years ago

Check engine light came on so I checked for trouble code with obd 11 reader and got code #P1441. This is a fuel EVAP system code that I think will only affect the emission system but I'm not sure of this. The engine is a 1996 GM 3.8 liter series 11 with a supecharger. What is the most common cause of this Evap problem and is it easily fixed? The car is running very well with no noticeable problem so whatever the problem is it doesn't appear to be affecting the engine's performance.

Comments (5)

• john_g
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A P1441 on this model means that the vacuum switch just behind the purge valve is signaling the computer that it see's a vacuum, when the purge valve is not commanded on. The most common causes are a bad purge valve, or a bad switch. Now here is the difference between a code puller, and a real scan tool. With the factory scan tool, a tech can look at serial data which will report the switch signal in a "Yes" (there is a vacuum) or a "No" (there is no vacuum) present format. The tech can then verify the switches report to a true of false, and proceed with the diagnostics accordingly. It's important to understand the way the switch reports it's information, as well as how the purge valve both operates, and is commanded. I can picture no less than 12 possibilities that can cause this code setting, including the simple chance that the switch or the purge valve are bad.

• bucky
    Original Author
    18 years ago

John G. Thank you for the explanation. I thought that this might be the case. e.g 12 or so possible causes.........
    but was hoping it was easily diagnosed and fixed. Car is going to my tech next week.

• joseph_2006
    18 years ago

The P1441 trouble code is appearing on my 2002 Corvette with 6spd. Where are the vacuum switch and the purge valve located? How much do they cost? I have a code reader only. What did the tech. determine was wrong with your car, Bucky? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Joe

• john_g
    18 years ago

Sorry Joe, but I'm gonna be picking on the attitude I see in your response, don't take this personally.

You said "The P1441 trouble code is appearing on my 2002 Corvette with 6spd. Where are the vacuum switch and the purge valve located?"

Any decent source of vehicle service information would give you the specific location of those components.

"How much do they cost? I have a code reader only."

IF you want to do this work, THEN it's time to buy the correct tools to do so. A code reader isn't the correct tool, as you can see. Granted you have already bought one, there are others who will read this that have not. If you had the money back that you spent on that toy tool, you'd be able to spend it on a tech that has made the investment to do the diagnostics and repairs on your car easily.

"What did the tech. determine was wrong with your car, Bucky?"

Here is the biggest problem. What was wrong with Bucky's car does not have anything to do with yours. So what does it really matter? If it's because maybe Bucky's needed the vacuum sense switch, does that mean you are going to run out, buy one and slap it onto your car to see if you can fix it cheap? Trying to be cheap like that with todays cars will usually end up costing you more money in the long run. Because after you shot gun a handfull of parts and the problem is still there, you'll still have to go to a shop and see a trained technician to have the problem diagnosed. Plus worse than that, you make the problem now be a moving target, instead of just a normal failure by shot gunning parts.

"Any help would be greatly appreciated."

Well, you have a Corvette. Clearly this isn't a car someone buy's when they are strapped for resources. So being able to afford a shop and technician shouldn't be a problem for you. Neither is being able to afford service information, nor the purchase of the correct tools to do this work. Trying to fix your car by doing what ever someone else's car needed isn't being a "mechanic" or "technician". Knowing how to diagnose the problem, accurately the first time one ever encounters it is. Sure changing the parts may not be all that difficult, and the desire to save money is strong. When people learn that there is money to be saved in the long run by supporting top shops and techs instead of undercutting them in any way, then they will realize the value thats actually being offered for them. If you don't know the right way to proceed, then take it to someone trained to figure it out. If you cannot afford to buy the correct tools, and information to do this correctly, then take it to someone that has made the investment. This is the exact same advice I would give to another professional technician, if they asked the questions as you did in the response.

There are shops out there that have not made the investment in their tools and techs. There are many others that have. The first clue in finding one of the one's that have is find a coupon for auto repair and look under it. If you dont see a tech with all the correct tools and information looking back at you, then your looking in the wrong place. :)

• geigerp99_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

What "Mr Attitude" is telling you is you need to spend alot of money for something very easy to fix. Sure the low end code readers just are not worth the money (spend a few extra bucks, it will pay off to get one that actually reads information not codes).

These forums are to help people not scold them and make them feel inferior.

So in that interest...

Usually this code will come up along with a P0452. Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low Input

You may also get a high reading.

This is due to a failure in the Evap cannister purge valve. $22-$50 at your local parts store.

Where is it on your car? Buy a shop manual if you really want to work on your car.

So A descent diagnostic tool $200 (for a home mechanic). Part $22-50, shop manual $20-100. Max $350.

"Professional Jerk". Minimum $90 diagnostic, $100 part, $100 labor $290.

Now that you have a good scan tool and a shop manual, how much money will you save in the long run?

Sponsored