Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heater Draining battery

Posted by deb_pa (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 06 at 9:48

Hello, my son has a Chevy Silverado pickup with crew cab and full bed. I don't know the year. When he forgets to turn off his heater the battery goes dead. Battery was checked and it is ok and starts ok if you remember to shut off heater when getting out. Battery charges good while running and running heater doesn't affect battery when truck is running. I know, I know, remember to shut the heater off, easier said than remembered. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heater Draining battery

The heater fan will run the battery down in about 1/2 hour or so. The voltage to the heater should shut off when the ignition key is in the 'off' position. I don't have a schematic for your vehicle, but most heater fans get their power throuh the 'accessory' connection of the ignition switch, and this eliminates the problem of forgetting to turn it off. However, there are two possibilities for your case:

1. A relay was used to supply the heater fan/blower and this relay is stuck closed.

2. There was a problem in the past and fan/blower was re-connected to a different location, one that is 'hot' at all times.

Check out the connection for the heater fan/blower and correct.

o
RE: Heater Draining battery-2

Another possibility:

The ignition switch is mis-adjusted and is in the 'accessory' position when the key is removed.

o
RE: Heater Draining battery

If this is a high mileage old truck, then I can see that the ignition switch could become loose and mis-adjusted, and if this is a GM weakness.
And AM(after market) accessories can also do this battery drain..
Pull the negative cable and test..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here