Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
changing upper an lower balljoints

Posted by countrytodamax (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 8:39

I have an 1989 ford f-150 4x4, need to replace the upper an lower ball joints. Not sure on how to start this project
or even if I want to. Could I get some advice on the repair?

Thanks
Allan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: changing upper an lower balljoints

First off, I am not an expert on your truck so I don't know the exact details for yours.

Whether or not you want to do this depends on how handy you are and how many tools you have. I believe on Ford trucks they're pressed in. You'll need a socket set, torque wrench, pickle fork, snap ring pliers, and 2 lb hammer at a minimum. It would be real helpful if you also have an air wrench, air grinder or cutoff wheel, and an air chisel, vise or hydraulic press. The basic process is to jack up the vehicle and support it by jack stands by the frame. Remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor. Support the suspension with your jack and remove the nut to the upper ball joint. Use the pickle fork to separate the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Mark cams and spacers so the alignment doesn't end up miles off. Remove whatever you have to in order to remove the upper control arm...probably just a couple nuts or bolts. Do the same thing with the lower control arm. There's probably a snap ring to remove that insures the ball joints stay in place in the control arms. Press out the old ball joints by whatever means you have, big hammer, vise, press, ect. Press in the new ball joints and reinstall the snap rings. Put your truck back together reversing that process. Take your truck ASAP to a shop for alignment.

That's my guess. There maybe more details for yours that I have no way of knowing without seeing it. You can look at yours and tell if those instructions look correct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here