SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopherh_gw

Leftovers?

christopherh
18 years ago

I was looking at replacing my 2003 Expedition as it now has over 75,000 miles on it.

I was contemplating an F350 but decided not to get that big a trailer, so I don't need that big a tow vehicle.

I was looking at the 2006 Ram at a local Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ford/Mercury dealer when I spotted three 2004 leftover rams. All are Quad Cab 4x4 SWBs with all the toys including the HEMI engine. The stickers on all three are about $35000. They are BRAND NEW vehicles with less than 40 miles on them. He is a very small dealer and his main business is service so I understand why he has these trucks. He also has a 2004 Mercury Monterey minivan leftover.

He wants $23,900 for each vehicle. I looked around at other dealers who had used '04 Rams and that's the going price for used trucks here.

What would you do? A new '06 for a $30,000 deal or a new 2 year old truck for $23,900? All warranties start when the truck goes into service and the ONLY difference is the '04's dont have the HEMI engine cylinder shutoff system.

Now I don't want to hear the pontifications about "using up resourses" or the grunchy granola types blathering about "not needing this huge truck". I don't care. I'll be pulling a 6,000 pound trailer so that Honda Insight just won't cut it.

Would you buy a new 2 year old new vehicle for the price of a used vehicle the same age?

Comments (10)

Sponsored