Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windshield wipers stopped in upright position

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 06 at 6:47

Is there a way to restart the wipers? We turned the wipers on, they went halfway across the car, then stopped. They won't move.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windshield wipers stopped in upright position

We could use a lot more detail.
As a guess, the wiper motor is burned out.
Or the switch contacts are too corroded..
Or the linkage has fallen off
Or the cable is frayed.
I have seen all of this, and more.

o

My guess is the wiper motor burned out.

o

Maybe the motor burned out OR maybe the speed control resistor burned out, or the breaker/fuse burned out.

If you have a multispeed wiper, check the speed control resistor. Its usually mounted on the air duct so that the fan can blow air over the resistor elements.

o

I'm sure a speed control resistor is much less expensive than a wiper motor and is probably more likely to fail.
Always go the service item, then cheapest route..

o

The strange thing was, last night when we started the car and tried the wipers, they worked. I'm still going to remember all these suggestions since our car is older and more likely to have a problem. Thanks to all.

o

I drove an old KW one night near midnight the wipers did just that; 1/2 way across and they stuck. Well I did the best I could with what I had. I tied a 1/2 inch rope to the drivers side wiper arm ran it outside the mirror bracket back into the cab and held it in my left hand. Then when the arm quit I guv it a jerk with the rope and it would come all the way left--back to the right--then 1/2 way again. Several hours. There is more to truck driving than grabbing gears.

Next morning I rolled into the shop and axt em if they could improve it. They replaced the big rope with an nice lanyard and a T-handle. Regular fellows they were. :-)

o

I am seeing this a lot in the last 10 years or so. Main culprits are Fiat and Opel. I see a lot of those going round with wipers parked in the middle of the screen. I had a '99 Opel Astra and a '06 Opel Vectra where the cam that keeps the power on to the motor until the wipers are parked went west, meaning that as soon as the intermittant wiper relay cut off the wiper motor stopped immediately, regardless of where the wipers were at the time. Both times this happened it was covered by warranty but once I saw the invoice from the dealer to the warranty provider. I'm glad I wasn't paying it.

o

GM had some wiper issues due to cracked solder connections on the controller card. It's generally easy to remove the motor and re-flow the solder joints.
Usual safety considerations: Disconnect the negative battery terminal etc etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here