Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
98 explorer, low beams not working...help

Posted by trouble_21 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 4, 07 at 0:39

My low beams will not come on in my 98 ford explorer. The running lights work, same with the high beams(but only if you hold the turn signal towards the stearing wheel) The fog lights also will not come on, as they only come on with my low beams.

I have changes the bulbs twice, but it doesn't make a difference.....Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 98 explorer, low beams not working...help

At the least, you will need some basic instruments and a repair manual to chase down the point where power to the lamps is lost. (A VOM [volt-ohm meter] is handy.) You need the repair manual to discover how the circuits are routed and if there are any special relays or computer controls in the works.

My first suspicions are the light switch, a control relay/breaker, or wiring connectors.

Try the horn. Does it work? Often, the front lights and horn are in a common connector that plugs into the main body wiring harness. If the horn does not work, suspect this wiring connector. See if you can locate this connector. It'll be up front somewhere, maybe under the battery box. Start with the wires at rear of the headlamp and trace back to where it connects to the main harness.

Do you have daytime running lights? Sometimes, these are powered at silghtly reduced power through a solid state switching regulator. Maybe this part is bad.

This is definitely a problem where it will pay to diagnose rather than throw parts at it.

o
RE: 98 explorer, low beams not working...help

You could begin by removing the connector at the back of the headlight, and reinstalling it. Repeat this two or three times for each connector. If there is some corrosion on the internal parts, the process of removing the plug and putting it back on will often wear off some of the oxides, and the connection will then work correctly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here