Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another not very good day

Posted by Fairegold (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 26, 05 at 22:57

It was a bad day. Mother's white count is even higher, and she's got very localized pain in her back. Doc added another antibiotic, plus the lidocaine patch PLUS morphine. Only the morphine worked. Tomorrow our regular doc will be back, and I think we should talk hospice care. Pain management will be better that way. I visited another nursing home today: the administrator and the director of nrising from the place where Mother was last summer were recruited to this place, which is under new ownership.

Lots of pain today, pretty rough. I look forward to seeing the doctor tomorrow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another not very good day

Helene, so sorry to hear these latest developments. The elevated white count would seem to indicate some sort of infection in her body, isn't that correct?

I think you're right to be considering hospice. They are experts in pain management and will ensure that your mother is comfortable. It's also support for YOU, too. What I learned from my mother's hospice nurse is that many people wait too late to seek the help, which is just a shame. There is still such a negative impression of hospice out there, as a "last gasp." I thought it was that way, myself, and when they first mentioned it to me at the nursing home, I was horrified. I'm glad I did it when I did, however, because that hospice nurse was wonderful. I could reach her at any time -- she gave me her home and cell numbers -- and it was much easier and more direct than calling the doctor who was assigned to Mom's care.

Hope you are able to sleep a bit tonight.

o

Oh, dear!! For someone as frail as she is, pain management is soooo important. Sometimes I think all the IVs, oxygen tubes, etc. instead of helping, make them so uncomfortable that they do more harm than good. It's a feeling of not being able to move freely, being "restrained" by tubing, that is a little scary to someone that can't quite understand what's going on.
Take care of yourself and rest as much as you can.
PB

o

How is your mom doing today? What did the doctor say? And how are you?

Hospice got my family through the final months of my mothers illness. Not only were the hospice nurses well-versed in pain management, but they knew so many ways to make Mother more comfortable. They were also a tremendous source of support for my father.

o

Has anyone heard from Helene? I've been checking in all evening and still no update. I'm worried...

o

Thinking about you all, Helene. I hope she is getting more comfortable. Hospice was invaluable to us for almost 2 years. It is a very good move on your part. ((Helene)) Derry

o

Helene has just posted a new thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here