Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hope someone can tell me...

Posted by grittymitts (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 05 at 22:17

Hope someone can tell me if they've known of chemo and radiation therapy being given at the sme time. My dear friend has colon cancer; Drs. first scheduled her for surgery then decided it was too large so are now giving the two treatments together...isn't this unusual?

Might it mean the cancer is more aggressive than first thought?

Thanks for any input- I'm trying to keep her upbeat, positive and hopeful so would not share any negatives with her, just want to know for myself.

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hope someone can tell me...

Suzi, my friend had both, but not together. Apparently, they want to treat her in an aggressive way since they couldn't operate... I pray she has good results. Your encouragement and friendship will be a blessing. May God have mercy and minister healing to her body. ~abreeze

o

Ive heard of this, but dont know anyone whos been through the double whammy. My guess would be that shell get smaller doses of chemo and radiation because shes getting both at once. Attacking the cancer on two fronts sounds pretty darn effective. It doesnt necessarily mean that they think the cancers extremely aggressive. I think that if they were really afraid of this particular tumor, they would remove as much of it as they could before beginning other treatments, but situations vary greatly according to how the tumors situated. How far the cancer has spread is more important than how big the tumor is. Colon cancer is really treatable if its caught before its spread very far.

Cancer treatments are changing all the time: my mother was on at least two experimental drugs for colon cancer. Your friends doctor thinks that the chemo/radiation combo will be more effective. They may still operate after this round of treatment is finished and the tumor is smaller. Cancer.org and the Johns Hopkins websites both have a lot of information. Make sure youre mentally prepared before you start looking for information. Some of the statistics can be pretty grim for the really advanced cancers.

Hang in there: no matter have great the outcome, it's going to be a bumpy ride. Dont be bashful about asking for support for her, you or her other loved ones.

Take care,
Scotland

o

Has your friend simply asked her doctor why they are recommending both chemo and radiation at once? That might be the most effective route, rather than speculating and trying to guess.

o

yes i've heard of people getting both. we've been at the cancer dr, and know some who are getting chemo there and leave there and go to hospital to get radiation. good luck to your friend! DianePA

o

Thanks so much for all the replies.

They did tell her it is "quite aggressive." I don't ask a lot of questions...she says she feels free to talk to me& has quite a lot. Unless she specifically asks my advice, I don't offer it with the exception of suggestion that she gain all the knowledge she can about the disease, pray & laugh a lot and keep visualizing the meds & radiation attacking & killing ALL those nasty little gremlins. I also try to give more mundane support like cleaning her house, doing laundry, grocery shopping & such- the things she just can't keep up with.

Suzi

o

Suzi, you said: "I also try to give more mundane support like cleaning her house, doing laundry, grocery shopping & such- the things she just can't keep up with."

Give yourself a big pat on the back for being the best kind of friend. Things like that may be mundane to those of us who can do them, but they are mountains to your friend.

You are a gem!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here