Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holistic Assisted Living with Gardens Galore

Posted by arugula (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 22:10

I was fantasizing about opening an assisted living tonight- the kind I'd like my mother to live in, instead of where she is, which promised us the moon, but breaks my heart.

Anyone have experience opening a small assisted living?

Any experiences with residences that provide more holistic care?

Anyone else interested in this kind of care for your family member?

I'm in WI and would love to network with others to help this happen someday soon.

http://margaretmassey.wordpress.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holistic Assisted Living with Gardens Galore

Sound good, but have you looked into the rules and regulations the federal gov, state, county and city set? You still have to follow them and I am not sure what you mean holistic care. Would you open your own assisted care home? And I am not sure the gov would allow you or any one else practice this on other people--again health rules.
There are many homes under different Churches that do practice this type of care.

o

You might contact Agesong in the SF Bay Area. I've heard their ads on the radio, and their website is good. Good ideas. It may be quite pricey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agesong

o

Agesong is a for-profit org. Not that they are necessarily bad, but we preferred St. Paul's (Lutheran) CCRCs after checking out a few (still have lots to go on the 'list', though).

Agesong's buy-in is much cheaper than St. Paul's, because of the way they differ in handling asst. living and nursing home care. The monthly rents are comparable for both. Expect to pay (in Northern CA, which is high-cost) about $2K/month for a decent-sized 1 bdrm/1 ba independent living apartment. This means you could manage with a cane, a walker is possible but a lot more awkward.

St. Paul's Lake Merritt hi-rise CCRC is our gold standard for comparison to all the others so far. We only hope we can afford them when it comes time to sell the house, LOL.

There are many types of facilities in every urban area; you just have to keep looking and asking questions. Many moderate-sized standard apartment buildings of recent vintage have elevators and are thus satisfactory for seniors who are still able to live independently.

Gardens are great - I have a large one myself. But I wouldn't expect that I could take care of an elderly senior needing assisted living, and still do all the garden work myself. My 82-yr old MIL lives with us, so this is something DH and I have discussed thoroughly.

I took care of my father when I was in high school, who was disabled from Parkinson's disease although he was still mostly functional at that point. But he'd have bad days every once in a while, and it wasn't easy to pick him up off the floor. Never underestimate how difficult it is to care for a disabled person, and how very time-consuming and exhausting it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here