Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time here and info.

Posted by Lisa11310 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 20:20

Hello this is my first time visiting this forum, didn't know about it untill Deb posted on the pet forum and mentioned it. Sorry for your loss Deb (i have a 14 yr old great dane lab mix) so I know it's comming. Anyway I thougt I would introduce myself because I think I can be of some help to many of you. I am a resource coordinator for an In Home Living Assistace Agency. It is my job to find resources to help elderly and disabled folks, most of our clients are low income. I read the post about the Medicare drug plans (I used to be a 1800medicare service rep)It's not that they don't want to give you answers, it's that they are ONLY allowed to give you the information that is on the screen in front of them. It was very frustrating for me to have better information and NOT be able to give it. Well I can give it now! First of all for low income people the plans are useless. If you'r loved one gets less than $1,400.00 per month, has savings under $2,000.00 they would qualify for FREE medication from the manufactures. Check out the www.freemedicationfoundation.com If the medication is generic you will need to find the name brand because it is the bigger companies that have these programs. If you have a Medicare drug plan it would make you inelligable. There's lots of other tricks to these programs, but I don't want to write a book. I will be happy to answer any questions on the forum on "how to get qualified for these programs" There are lots of other programs out there that will provide funding for respite care for those of you caring for an elderly parent. The lady with the meatball story is a perfect canidate, you CAN get more help, but as you have already called Adult Protective services, I have a feeling you now your stuff. It's trickey but you CAN get help without having to pay for it, you just need to know the ins and outs. Did you know there is a new tax credit for caring for your parent at home? Did you know there is a $750.00 grant for Alzheimers caregivers? A grant for caregivers of terminally ill? I love my job, it feels so good to help people. I will be happy to help you help the ones you are caring for. I have resources to find what may be available to you and I am glad to share what I know with you. There have been so many people on these forums that have helped me out with expert advise on many things, now maybe I can give back!
Lisa (yes I know I can not spell)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time here and info.

Tax credit for caring for parent at home? Can you tell me where to look for info on that?

o

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum! What a wealth of information you have. You will surely be a blessing to all who visit this forum. ~abreeze

o

Hi again Lisa! and welcome! i will admit that things for me are still terrible, but i did want to say although i do not live in the states, i did read your post, and did find it very,very interesting. in canada, seniors age 65 and older get their meds free or a 2.00 co-pay after they pay out X number of dollars first, or if you are like me (i am not a senior person) have a great md (although after the other day i am wondering) who gives me free samples. also persons can live in city run "homes for the aged'and are geared to income, or privately owned homes which run about 2,000.00 per month, but include everything. again, welcome. debbie

o

Hi I am a caregiver for my 20 year old son who has a genetic syndrome as well as medical problems. I am feeling very overwhelmed and burnt out. I know I need assistance but not sure what I can get. We have some of the SSI and the Comunity Living resources that could get him in a group home but that is too hard for me to do at this time. I wish I could find him some daycare after school a few days a week. Most of the information I see is for caretakers of elderly parents and not much addressing parenting a disabled young adult. I would like to have someone to maybe come in and help --but I don't think I can afford it.

o

HI Lisa, welcome to the board. you sound like you will be a big help to a lot of people here!!
you mentioned a grant (do you have to pay this back??) for caring for terminally ill person. my DH has cancer, and i'm his caregiver..could you give me nore info on this??? thanks DianePA

o

Hi Lisa could you tell us about the tax credit for caring for your parent at home...I was not aware that there was anthing like this .....
Sure would be nice to have some extra money to buy grocery with....
thanks and you will be a blessing to all of us with your help.....hugs imabest

o

Hello folks, sorry for the delay in my response, it's a busy time of year for this industry because many adult childern come home to visit and find their parents are begining to fail and need some help. Asolo & Imabest, I will have to look up the name of the bill for the tax credit that went to Congress this year, and I will let you know ASAP. Diane, no you don't have to pay it back, the grant is small usually around $250.00 every 3 months,but that is money that could be used for respite care or RX co pays, etc. I will find my info on that and post it here.Michgirl, I assume you are in Michigan? I am too so I know all of the state and federal programs here well, I am near Muskegon, where are you? Please feel free to e mail me at lvlice@aol.com I will need more details but most likely can find you some help. I have quite a few clients that are younger disabled people. I have put in some pretty long hours and have been later and later getting hubbies dinner so I cant get the info tonight. I will have everything answered and posted by Friday at the latest.(next two days are client visit days)but I usually work at home so I can sneak in some forum time.
Lisa

o

Thanks very much for responding!! I will try to email you soon
I live in Canton which is western wayne county. I appreciate any thing you can share with me...It is so late I can hardly stay awake right now but I will talk with you soon :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here