SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asolo_gw

BM management

asolo
14 years ago

Things have been going very well until a couple of weeks ago. Now looking for advice.

Situation: Mom's 97. I live with full-time and have for years. BM management has always been part of the equation, but things have changed in the last couple of weeks. Haven't dealt with this before. Dementia has gradually come on beginning about 18 months ago.

What I'm dealing with is 1) frequency of "urges" and 2) her apparent obsession with getting her hands in there and helping it out. Note: there is no problem with passage. Everything's moving fine.

So...she tries as best she can to keep herself clean but she can't see, so can't tell. My new task is to follow up immediately after each bathroom visit to check her hands and the rest of her and then to clean up what's left behind. Not talking big stuff, but constant. And, of course, it annoys her. She doesn't understand why I have to do this and it doesn't matter what I explain because she can't remember it.

The questions......

What to do about controlling the "urge"....talking 6-7 times a day. Do NOT want to shift over into constipation/compaction. Been there and don't want to go again.

What to do about her compulsion to "help" it come out...how keep her hands out of it?

Situation is manageable, just disappointing. Would LOVE to get back to "normal".

Comments (5)

Sponsored