SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairegold

Did I say I was going out of town? Silly me!

fairegold
18 years ago

So, I had planned to drive down to LA today, leaving at 5 AM, going to the dog show at Long Beach in the afternoon, then staying with a Cooking Forum pal and meeting others for a wonderful dinner. Then Monday, I'd go to another dog show in the morning, pick up my dog from the friend she's been staying with, and head back up the road. It's about 350 miles each way.

Silly me to make such plans.

The AL shift-leader called me about 5:30 yesterday afternoon, just as I was wrapping the hostess gift for Jessica and a little before Jim was going to make martinis and then we were having a nice steak for dinner.

Mother had fallen in her apt and hit her head and there was blood on the floor. The AL leader was checking on her because she had missed dinner and lunch. Good news---- it's just a gash on her forehead, no loss of consciousness, no stroke, CAT scan is fine, nothing else broken.

So we spent the evening at the ER getting the CAT scan, etc, and she was home by 11:30 PM.

Tomorrow will be the hard day. She already gets the package of AL services, while staying in her apt, but she has refused to allow the aides to help her with dressing and undressing... she's too proud and desperate to remain independent. But she can't do that. SHe wasn't even wearing the LifeAlert button.

Sigh.

I think that tomorrow we will be ganging up on her, or maybe the staff will do it for me--- she has to understand that we have to have the services in order to keep her safe, but that's a trade-off with independence and privacy.

She will be 96 on January 10th, and shows no signs of dementia, altho she does get confused. Sometimes that's because she doesn't like to wear her hearing aide, either. But she does not have AZ or any other real problems.

Silly me for forgetting that things can happen at any time.

Comments (3)

Sponsored