SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sistersunnie_gw

Inpatient

sistersunnie
18 years ago

Last night I accompanied my husband to Sheppard Pratt Hospital and settled him into the Geriatrics wing. It was a tumultuous ambulance trip up and we arrived late at night. I didn't have the opportunity to meet all of his team but the ones I saw were warm and professional. The facility was clean, new and cheerful. I've spoken with his nurse,social worker and Therapist this morning will be talking with them again this evening for a report on his first day.

This was a difficult decision to make and it was very painful to leave him there. However as hard as it was for me, he seemed comfortable. He settled in immediately, appeared curious about the surroundings, was talking with the others, stayed busy exploring while I was doing the initial intake. After an hour he told the aide he wanted to go to bed, kissed me goodnight and walked away!

This is the first time in five years that I havent been taking care of him and I am both relieved and very sad. We have probably waited too long to do this but it was like the frog in pot with the steadily increasing hot water, we didnt know we were boiling to death until it reached a critical point.

I cant stop crying and feel like I'm shattered. Giving myself permission to sleep the next two days, spend time with my daughters and not think about it all. I'll pull a Scarlet O Hara and deal with it tomorrow!

I just wanted to update you on the situation. Please keep us in your prayers daily.

Comments (2)

Sponsored