SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junebug1961

New to caregivers forum...

junebug1961
9 years ago

Hi, folks...
I have been a Gardenweb member for eons, it seems, but this is my first time in the caregivers forum. I'm glad there is such a forum!

My frail, eighty-six year old mom is slowly circling the drain. She smoked two packs of cigs a day for 45 years (90 pack years!) and has COPD as an unfortunate consequence. She quit in her sixties after my dad had a serious heart attack.. Dad has been gone for seventeen years.

Mom has suffered two strokes (fortunately, small cerebellar) and had double by-pass surgery three years ago. She is now completely dependent on supplemental 02. She has a small, chargeable o2 unit for when we go out shopping or mall walking.

She has an equally elderly cat with kidney disease, so it's sort of like I'm caring for two seniors, lol.

I love my mom dearly, but the stresses of her situation really get me down sometimes. My next youngest sister moved to Florida (I am in WI), so she's off the hook, care wise. Baby sister lives an hour south of me, but might as well be in outer Mongolia for all the help she provides.

These days, I'm getting mom out to as many family celebrations as I can, as she lives for those. Her oldest sister just passed away in July, and mom is the only "kid" left in her family. She's been quite blue this Christmas season because of that.

Anyway, I hope to get to know all of you.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler