SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi427

Need some help please

mimi427
18 years ago

I found out yesterday (after having an MRI) that I have a synovial cyst that has formed on the lumbar portion of my spine (L5/L6), and it is pinching the nerves there, causing severe pain going from my lower back, into my right hip and down my right leg. My doctor called to discuss the results of the MRI, and tells me she has already put a call into an orthopedic spinal surgeon, which completely freaked me out. At this point, I do NOT want to rush into surgery, but I will keep the appointment, if for no other reason than to have a second opinion on the MRI, and to ask him what my options are. I have read on the internet (and we all know you cannot believe everything you read there) that my options are: cortisone shots, epidural injections, and two different surgeries. I'm wondering about acupuncture, massage therapy, or chiropractic?

I would love to hear from you if you have any information on this. I'd also like to know your opinion, if I do choose surgery, why choose an orthopedic spinal surgeon over a spinal neurosurgeon when having spinal surgery (my doctor is sending me to an orthopedic spinal surgeon) What really bummed me was I read that normally these synovial cysts develop after age 65...I am 54... I'm beginning to wonder if all the exercise I have done throughout my adult years is now taking its toll on my back. I know everything you read and hear tells you how good exercise is, but I just wonder... I trained for four years in Karate while in my 30's, including sparring (fighting) where I did take kicks to my back (yes, a missed block). While going to karate, I trained 4 nights a week and Sats. I also was a fanatic about the Stairclimbing machines at the health club. Not the ones that you peddled up and down on, but the big machines, with actual steps that you climbed and you could set the speed. I'd do those for 90 minutes before work every day. In fact, I entered a race and climbed the stairs of the John Hancock building (94 floors). Then in more recent years, I've been walking, either treadmill or outside, mainly outside, on average of 2 to 4 miles a day. I've always had Golden Retriever dogs, - very high energy... so it's always been a big incentive for me to get out and walk. I've had back pain for years, but never quite like this...I just can't help but wonder if I did myself more harm than good...

Any information would be appreciated.

Mimi

Comments (9)

Sponsored