SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saphire_1975

Taking Care Of Grandma

saphire_1975
15 years ago

My Grandmother has always been very healthy until recently, in the last week she has been treated for a bleeding ulcer, diagnosed with a clogged artery that they will take care of when the ulcer heals, and is currently in the hospital with leg pain. It turns out that she never knew her leg hurt because she had heard that aspirin was good for her heart, and was taking 3 pills every 4 hours, the aspirin gave her the ulcers. She lives in a retirement home but her doctor says that she cannot live alone anymore as she will not take her medicine properly. My family owns a three unit apartment building I live in 1 my mother lives in 1 and my brother lives in the third. My mother is in her 60's and has a bad back so her apartment is handicapped accessible I want my Grandma to come stay at my mom's. My mom has allot of pain but the only care she needs is checked on every day and some small things that she can't do. I figure that between me, my brother, and my sister in law we can take care of them both. I am 33 years old and have a teenage daughter. Does anyone have any advise for me? I really would like to keep her out of a nursing home for as long as possible. But I know that if I move her in I will be responsible for 3 people that aren't good at following directions, Grandma, mom, and teenager. How do I transition into the role of caregiver when she used to care for me?

Comments (11)

Sponsored