Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interviewing caregivers, long distance

Posted by annkathryn (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 23:57

I have an elderly relative who lives alone in an apartment and is in need of assistance once a week or so, possibly more. She can drive, but she tires very easily and could use someone to drive her to doctor's appts, grocery shopping, and other short errands. She needs light housework done as well. I found an ad for a couple who provide respite care services (on Craig's List) and have spoken with them on the phone. They've sent me the names of 3 references. I plan to call the references and ask the obvious questions (how reliable were the couple, were they trustworthy, etc). Are there any other questions I should ask, either of the couple or of their references?

This relative lives a 4-hour flight away from me, and the rest of my family is even farther. I plan to visit in January, but would like to make arrangements for someone to help her before then.

Can anyone give me advice as to how to find the "right" help for my relative? She's very independent and is only reluctantly agreeing to hire someone, so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks,
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interviewing caregivers, long distance

That's a really tough decision to make from such a distance. Is your relative part of a social/service organization or a church that you could call to ask for referrals? Can you call the local senior center or agency on aging for referrals? Most counties offer a variety of services for the aged. Hospitals can often steer you in the right direction too.

Also, there are many reputable home-care businesses available that do all the pre-screeing for you. They do the background checks, check driver's licenses, etc., so you have more peace of mind regarding your loved one's care. I used such a service when my mother was with us for a few months.

Good luck!

o

NO NO NO--even with references you do not know these people. Talking by phone tells you NOTHING!!!! Face to face if better, because most of the time a person gets a "feeling"
My DIL is doing this type of work only thru an agency, who investigates all they send out. She is a CNA but chooses to work this way instead of a nursing home, which she did for several years.
Call your relatives dr--medical center--hospital and ask for the Social Service Dept, and even Nursing homes and assisted living places have help. Maybe she could go into a Assisted living instead of an apartment. Yes, they drive, and even cook their own meals. They should have lists of agencies. Price might be higher, but should be safer. At least if you relative complains or indicates a problem YOU have a business to go to. And these agencies are regulated too thru the state so you can check up on them. PLEASE, don't just hire anyone!!!!

o

Thanks for your responses. I'll look for local services and see if I can get a referral from them. My relative doesn't belong to any church or other organization, unfortunately, and she's had very bad experiences (from her perspective, anyway) with hospitals and doctors.

My family has tried for at least 10 years to either move her closer to my parents or establish her in an assisted living facility in her city, but she's flatly turned down both moves.

So now I'm thinking I'd better wait until I can fly out in January to arrange some help. That way I can at least see firsthand what the options are, and interview this couple or another caregiver myself.

Any other ideas are welcomed.

Ann

o

I'm glad Marie chimed in. She expressed my thoughts exactly. If your relative is so resistant & stubborn, you may just have to leave her be until she MUST be placed in a nursing home. I can't think of anything worse than arranging long distance care for a loved one only to discover that the caregiver YOU CHOSE harmed her in any way (financially, physically, sexually, or emotionally). That would be horrible to live with.

o

I my area there is an organization called visiting angels. See if theres not one near the person your needing help for.

http://www.visitingangels.com/?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=plm&utm_campaign=Brand&utm_term=visiting+angels&utm_extra=phone/1-866-660-7384

If she does not allow someone to help out theres nothing else you can do.
I've tried to get my dad to get help not just for him but for me so the load can be taken off of me due to my own health problems but he will not let anyone else come in and help out.
So I guess one day I'll have to place him into a home sooner then if he would if he get outside help that would allow him to stay in his home longer.

o

Thanks for the information about Visiting Angels. I've emailed them for more information. It looks like it might be a good fit for my relative, although like anything it will depend on how well she gets along with the person (people) assigned to her care. I think a revolving door of caregivers will throw her for a loop, but then again I know it's difficult for caregiving companies to recruit and maintain a qualified staff.

o

Mariend, is absolutely right. Don't hire anyone over the
phone. Sometimes even with face to face interviews and
references you can end up with a bad choice.

o

I've contacted the Dept of Senior Services in the city where my relative lives. They have a good list of caregivers, including Visiting Angels, but they are all $15-$20/hour, which is well beyond my relative's means. One thing the city does is provide assisted transportation at $2 per ride, which might be useful. There is a 2-month process to apply for this transportation which I've encouraged my relative to begin.

I'm also considering Meals on Wheels for her, thinking that not only will it help her nutrition, but it might provide just a little companionship. Does anyone have experience with that organization?

Thanks everyone.

o

I don't have any personal experience with Meals on Wheels. But I've read several stories in the local newspapers here (greater Sacramento area) about the organization and they've all been positive.

The rate of $15 - $20 per hour is about average for caregivers, especially good ones that you can trust. Some people might work for less, especially if you pay them privately and they don't pay taxes. But I'm not sure you'd want to take your chances.

Most communities now provide discounted assisted transportation for seniors. But your relative may eventually need even more assistance in the future. It wouldn't hurt to investigate other options now before it becomes a necessity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here