SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Interviewing caregivers, long distance

annkathryn
16 years ago

I have an elderly relative who lives alone in an apartment and is in need of assistance once a week or so, possibly more. She can drive, but she tires very easily and could use someone to drive her to doctor's appts, grocery shopping, and other short errands. She needs light housework done as well. I found an ad for a couple who provide respite care services (on Craig's List) and have spoken with them on the phone. They've sent me the names of 3 references. I plan to call the references and ask the obvious questions (how reliable were the couple, were they trustworthy, etc). Are there any other questions I should ask, either of the couple or of their references?

This relative lives a 4-hour flight away from me, and the rest of my family is even farther. I plan to visit in January, but would like to make arrangements for someone to help her before then.

Can anyone give me advice as to how to find the "right" help for my relative? She's very independent and is only reluctantly agreeing to hire someone, so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks,

Ann

Comments (9)

Sponsored