Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello

Posted by westelle (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 21:57

I'm. A long time contributor to the CA Garden Forum... and others as well.

I'm caretaker for my husband who has a progressive neurological disease- PSP.. He now needs full care, with walking being the only thing he can still do for himself. There are no medications that help with this disease and most make the symptoms worse.

I'm hoping to find help from your insite, and maybe I can share some answers I've found.

Westelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello

I have never heard of that disease so can't give you any advice there. I do care about you and I know what you are going through. My husband had AZ and I took care of him in spite of 2 doctors telling me I would die if I did not get rid of the stress it was causing me. It took a friend telling me that my life was just as important as his and more so because I was 10 years younger than he was. I checked out every care home within 20 miles of my home and found the small towns seem to take better care of their guests, maybe because they knew most of them, friends and neighbors mostly. I put him in a care home and it took me a couple of years before I felt well again.

If you have to put him in a care home some day, do a divisions of assets with SRS right away. In my state I got to keep the home, my car and controlled the money. I even got to live off of his half of the assets. I don't know if it is different in other states.

o

I forgot to mention that there are limits regarding division of assets. In my state if you had $19,000. or less in savings you could keep it and the spouse would go on medicaid right away. It is the same with income, but I have forgotten the figures on that.

o

I guess I should have defined PSP = Progressive Supraneuclear Palsy, and is a fairly rare neurological disease. He goes to sleep in his chair and occasionally when he wakes up another switch has been flipped off and there is something new he can't do.

We've already taken care of the financials, but thank you for the info. I will check to see if anything like that will ever become necessary.

o

I am not sure what you mean by taken care of the financials. If you are married all assets will be put together. I had part interest in my mother's home and they pulled it up on the PC, found the value and 1/4 of it would be an asset for us. If you have long term health care insurance, even that can run out and often there are expenses over that. You cannot give any assets away as far back as 5 or 6 years, they can and will check into that. If you get caught then you probably can't get medicaid or any other social services.

o

Ahhh... Now I understand. I will check into this.

o

Thanks for replying, I thought I might have offended you. I believe the division of assets can save spouses from going broke, so I like to tell everyone about it. Most have never heard of it. I paid $4,000. plus a month for my husband's care home bill and meds ran at least $500. We were almost down to my half of the assets when he died.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here