Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thank you to all you forum angels

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 17:28

Thank you for letting me read all of your stories , feeling your pain and sharing in your strength. It's my turn to make the terrible decision to put my FIL in a home. I'm 53, FIL has been living with DH & I for 4 years. He's 91 now. I had a " meltdown " last week and told DH I can't do this anymore. ( Needless to say - I'm not a popular person around here lately.) I'm putting my mental health first . I've been on antidepressants for over 10 years now .So between Menopause and depression , I feel myself slipping. I Called a social worker today - I didn't even care who - I just needed to talk. She gave me a really nice pep talk . Boy , this sure is hard isn't it ? I Don't know how I'm going to explain it to FIL ....
but it has to be. Stay strong everyone . ((Hugs))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thank you to all you forum angels

Toomuch, you certainly are right when you say, "...this sure is hard..." There is never a perfect solution and always so many things to consider. You can only make decisions based on what you think will be best for both you and your loved one. There will always be some second guessing involved -- wondering if you made the right decision, wondering if you were too selfish, etc. But, in the end, you just do the best you can given the circumstances you are facing.

Everyone's situation is a bit different, but the folks on this forum have a lot of experience, knowledge, empathy, & encouragement to share.

o
RE: Thank you to all you forum angels

You have been thru too much and 10 years on anti depressents is not good. Your DH should back you not his father (Money involved? guilt?) You did the right thing.
I could not, did not do it when my folks were alive, but they knew that. By the way, who is going to take care of DH, if you completly break down?
Toughlove
Hugs for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here