Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble Swallowing Meds.

Posted by care4turtles (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 17:02

Along with the many things that my Mother has trouble with, the newest one is swallowing. I was breaking her meds in half and now she's soaking them in water and taking them like a shot of whiskey. Any suggestions? Thanks, Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble Swallowing Meds.

Mash the tabs to powder between 2 spoons then add some honey and stir it up.

My mom did that for me when I was too young to swallow tabs. So I did the same for my kids. :-)

o

Flavored Yogurt works great as well Did that when my daughter @ 3 had to take mega pills daily. Favorite jam works good too.

o

Or small portions of applesauce.

o

Well, The crushing of the pain pills and taking in water has caused ulcers in her mouth. So, we're actually back to taking whole tablets, but the struggle makes her gag.
She's a 76 year old Cancer survivor. It's been 15 years now, but the radiation used to save her life has compromised her entire being. This year has been the worst. She is bedridden and is loosing the will to eat because of this swallowing problem.... I'm sad and feeling pretty helpless......

o

Have you tried asking the pharmacy to provide:
Smaller pills
Liquid
Chewable?

We've gone to as many chewable as possible... many are like gummy candy.

o

Some pills should not be crushed because they are time released. I think drinking water to moisten the mouth and throat before I swallow a large pill helps.

o

Consult your local pharmacist. Perhaps liquid versions are available. They may taste bad but at least they'll go down.

o

She passed away the day before Thanksgiving.

o

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. My deepest sympathies to you and the family. It sounds like you did a wonderful job of helping her. May you have good memories.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here