Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Caring for mentally retarded brother

Posted by pattatee (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 15:58

I just found this forum and am hoping there may be someone out there with a similar experience. My parents died in 2008 within 5 months of each other. They had been caring for my mentally retarded brother all his life (he is 54 now) and he has now come to live with me. It has been a real eye-opening experience!
Unfortunately they had never gotten him signed up for any services that he would be eligible for. It took me a year and a half to finally get him declared eligible for sevices but now he is on a waiting list (which may take years to get any services. I have been pulling my hair out in frustration!!
I have another brother but he lives in another state and has 3 children and says he cannot help out more than a couple of times a year for 2 week visits.
I feel like I am being punished for doing the right thing by providing a home for my brother. He can take care of the basic activities of daily living but needs someone to prepare meals, clean, manage medications, and basically provide a safe environment. He has problems with repetitive actions (like turning the lights on and off 20 times), being possesive towards me, and other frustrating activities.

Anyone out there with a similar situation?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Caring for mentally retarded brother

You need to look into a group home for him. It will be better for him and for you. There are some wonderful ones out there, but choose with care. Good luck to you. I've had friends in the same position you are in now. Placing their sibling in a group home has worked out wonderfully for all.

RE: Caring for mentally retarded brother

Must agree with dedtired. You can't handle this indefinitely. Unreasonable for anyone -- including yourself -- to expect it of you. Your life is important, too.

RE: Caring for mentally retarded brother

I agree but in Florida there is a waiting list which can take as long as 2 years to get him into a group home. It is difficult to manage in that interim.

RE: Caring for mentally retarded brother

He may not be elegible for a group home, but may need a different type of care home. Contact the social services of your hospital, his doctor, your mental health association etc. Just call/talk to everyone, but document your enquries. If he has no funds, contact your state health care or help. You cannot continue as he could turn dangerous.

RE: Caring for mentally retarded brother

I am in a situation close to this- my brother is Mr & mi. My father has Alzheimer's. Dad is on hospice.. My brother is 57 & has never stayed by himself. He is 6 $ 250 lbs. He has a terrible temper.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here