SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattatee

Caring for mentally retarded brother

pattatee
13 years ago

I just found this forum and am hoping there may be someone out there with a similar experience. My parents died in 2008 within 5 months of each other. They had been caring for my mentally retarded brother all his life (he is 54 now) and he has now come to live with me. It has been a real eye-opening experience!

Unfortunately they had never gotten him signed up for any services that he would be eligible for. It took me a year and a half to finally get him declared eligible for sevices but now he is on a waiting list (which may take years to get any services. I have been pulling my hair out in frustration!!

I have another brother but he lives in another state and has 3 children and says he cannot help out more than a couple of times a year for 2 week visits.

I feel like I am being punished for doing the right thing by providing a home for my brother. He can take care of the basic activities of daily living but needs someone to prepare meals, clean, manage medications, and basically provide a safe environment. He has problems with repetitive actions (like turning the lights on and off 20 times), being possesive towards me, and other frustrating activities.

Anyone out there with a similar situation?

Comments (5)

Sponsored