Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holiday Gift for Helpers

Posted by sistersunnie (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 9:12

Okay, I have three women and 1 man that are paid sitters for my husband. All do a wonderful job and are paid well. I would like to give them something for a Holiday gift BUT I cant afford much.What would be appropriate but affordable? I know there are guidelines that suggest a cash gift of 1 weeks salary, NO WAY! After their hourly wages, meds, co pays, etc, I am really strapped.

I was wondering if a holiday planter and a local eatery gift certificate for around $20.-$25.00 would seem cheesy? Any thoughts? Does anyone else do something for their helpers? If so what?

THanks.

sistersunnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holiday Gift for Helpers

Hi Sunnie! well when we had the VON's (nurses who came in) i either did give a holiday plant and because i quilt i have also made small wallh angings or crocheted angels andone year i made very small crossstitch angels and put them in a small round frame. i think whether it's a card or box of chocolates or a candle i think anyone would be happy to just be remembered. debbie

o

I think that would be quite alright. They understand how tight money can be. The only other thing I might suggest would be a gift certificate for a ham or turkey or even just $25.00 worth of groceries.

o

we (Rusty and I) do a gift certificate and I think my sister does also, so they probbly get about $50.00 I have no idea what my Father gives them. Carolyn

o

I thihnk what you suggest sounds fine,Sunnie. In-home care givers have an understanding of what the family circumstances are like. You have to plan for the long-run. I would be wary of starting something you can't keep up.
derry

o

Well I sat down to do the budget for the next few months and for the holiday. They will be getting either a beautiful little planter that I make out of old/dainty orphaned cream pitchers/ gravy boats and sweetheart ivy (cause they are sweethearts) or a pretty little cup and saucer with tea, stirrer and baked cookies OR a bouquet of lifesavers (cause they're our lifesavers). There just isnt any extra $$ and I hope per your comments that they understand!

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here