Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poem for Caregivers

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 07 at 9:06

I'm no longer a caregiver, but when I wrote this poem I was taking care of my husband. America magazine published it last year, and this month released it online. I thought I'd share it here, as some of you will no doubt be able to relate.

To-Do List For My 37th Wedding Anniversary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poem for Caregivers

What a great poem. I can relate about the part of having to tell dad many times what his new medicine is for and when to take it. I write down on a posty note when to take it and leave it next to the pill bottle. Once he gets use to taking it he does fine. I call in his medicine monthly so I know if he's taking it like he should.
In this time of a persons life it is torn into a thousand directions. You need to know their safe, that their doing ok on their own if they live alone like my dad. There are times when dad is doing really good. He has taking an interest in getting one of his old cars up and running and he did it. I'm not all that happy about him driving the old car cause it has sit for 4 or 5 years without even being started the whole time. He had it towed and had the gas tank emptied and a little work done on it but I wonder about the tires and any leaks from sitting all that time.
I think to myself that he must have an angel riding with him in that car, keeping it going just for him.

I cannot tell you how many times my heart is pounding in my chest when I drive over to dads to get him his breakfast. I walk up the steps and look for the kitchen light to be on, if it wasn't on I'd walked over to his bedroom window, knock on it to see if he's awake. Many times I fear he'll go sometime in the night in his sleep. In away I know he will be better off but the loss will be greatly felt heavy in my heart.

Thank you for sharing your poem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here