Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find?

Posted by efine50 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 8:31

My Dad is 84 and still lives in his house alone since my Mom passed last Dec. He's doing quite well by himself but has problems with time. He'll fall asleep in his recliner and when he wakes up and see's the time he doesn't know if it's day or night. I've gotten many calls around 10PM him thinking he overslept and it's AM. He doesn't think to look outside if it's light or dark out and I surely don't want to embarass him about it. I thought a large digital clock with the AM and PM large also but have searched and searched and all the clocks have big numbers but tiny AM/PM.
Does anyone know if such a clock exists? Sure would make it easier for my Dad.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Evelyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find?

That is a good idea, don't know of any off hand but I am sure they are out there. I will let you know if I see one.
Take care and good luck to you and your Dad.

o

I've purchased quite a few things for my mother from Independent Living. You might find something that would help him in their online catalog. They've got a good assortment of clocks for people with poor vision that might work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Independent Living

o

Thank you luvmypets!
Appreciate the website shambo. Didn't find what I'm looking for but it's a great site for other things. I wonder why it's so hard to find a clock that doesn't have an itty bitty AM/PM? The talking ones may work.
Thanks again!
Evelyn

o
Talking clocks may not work...

Evelyn, I should have mentioned that I did not find the talking clocks that helpful. Although the clocks "speak" English, the speakers are from Asia. It's not all that easy to understand what the speaker is saying if there's any kind of hearing loss or confusion. I bought two different kinds of talking clocks for my mom. But her ability to understand them was so poor that I finally just gave them to my granddaughter to play with. It wasn't so much a hearing problem for my mom as an understanding problem. She no longer responds to quickly spoken sentences. Her brain just can't keep up. I have to repeat myself most of the time, and speak slowly & clearly.

o

Shambo
I appreciate that information! Dad wouldn't be able to understand a speaker from Asia. He has a hard enough time understanding most people. I believe his mind can't keep up with it either. I'm always repeating myself and I try to speak clearly & slowly.
I'll keep looking.
I did find some very interesting aids on that site and the prices are very reasonable. Thanks!
Evelyn

o

I bought my husband a talking watch.
He loves it. He was always asking what time it was
and what day and date it was.

It's hard to see our loved ones start to go down hill,
isn't it? My husband has lost his eyesight due to macular
degeneration, he also has some dementia. I try to handle
one problem at a time without making him feel that it is a problem.

He insists on loading the dishwasher, I let him do it,
sometimes I have to do them over, but it's okay.

I've ordered some things from First Street. They have some things that are helpful.

You can google and find almost anything.
Good luck with your dad.

o
I keep looking

Thanks Janis_g
Dad had a hard time with the day & date also but I finally have him looking at the newspaper every morning. I asked him the other day if a 24 hour clock would help. He didn't think so. So I'm still on a mission to find the digital clock that I think he will be able to understand.
Evelyn

o

Hi Evelyn!

I had the same problem with my 85 yo mom, and I bought her a clock which works great!

I purchased it off ebay: it was shipped out fast and works wonderfully!

I'm adding a direct link to the clock I bought, so you can check it out.

Best of luck!
....Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Clock on Ebay I Bought

o

Thank you Kate,
I believe that clock would have worked. My Dad passed away last Tuesday so now he doesn't have to worry about the time or date...just enjoying being back together with my Mom.
Evelyn

o

Evelyn, I'm so sorry to hear of your father's death. Please accept my deepest sympathies.

o

Thank you shambo

o

Oh Evelyn, I am so very, very sorry! You have my most heartfelt sympathy and a prayer for comfort. I am so sorry.

(((HUGS)))
....Kate

o

Thank you Kate

o

Evelyn, so sorry for your loss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here