Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Talking to herself-HELP

Posted by lovestoquilt (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 28, 06 at 6:41

My soon to be 90 year old great aunt (Grandma's sister)has been living with us for 6 years. She is in good physical health. She reads mysteries and does the jumble puzzle in the paper everyday. I 've notice lately that she has started to "mumble" to herself. Like she is talking to someone but not us. Not loud but under her breath.
Well, I was up early this morning and heard her in the bathroom. I thought she might be calling me so I went to check on her and she was just talking away......saying terrible things about me! Called me a witch (with a B) and
said I was stealing her money (my name is on her account). Of course, I'm not. She gets a bank statement every month
and can see for herself. It's not like she is wealthy!
And called my husband, who is nothing but nice to her, the B word. Very angry mean words.Just rambled on and on.
I'm not sure what to do? Should I talked to her about it? During the day she's as sweet as can be. Not a angry word.
Is this the start of something? I can't believe she actually feels this way after all these years. Also, lately she has been saying she wishes she would just die. She has outlived all of her siblings. Was never married and had no children.
This is my first post. I'm so glad I found this site.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you so much.

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Talking to herself-HELP

Don't say anything to her. She may not even be aware of such deep feelings, and would wonder why you are trying to upset her.

I know it was disturbing to you, but it really would not do a bit of good to confront her.

I suspect that she is entering another area of life where her mind may not work as it always has. Just do the best you can. You may have to overlook a lot of things like this.

o

I agree, don't say anything to her. She's probably not aware of what she's saying, or even that she's talking to herself. By 90, my dad felt he'd lived long enough.

You might want to talk to her physician, about her mumbling and talking to herself. Has she had any other changes in her personality, even subtle ones? She might have had a small stroke or bleed in her brain. She may have developed high blood pressure or diabetes, or something else. He can check her out. Her medications may be interacting in a funny way, or she may be getting too much. If she's small, doses may need to be adjusted, or changed. If she's taking aspirin, the doctor may want to stop it.

Good luck.

o

Make sure that you have her medical power of attorney and have the proper forms to be able to talk to her doctor. HIPPA rules are quite specific about privacy rules. I'd make sure that her doctor knows about this. It might be the start of more dementia. And no, you should not mention it to her.

This is the time to be sure that your paperwork is up to date, because it may come in handy in the future. My Mother would get confused in her later years, and there was no amount of 'explaining' that would make her understand reason. At this stage, you will find yourself treating her (lovingly of course) more as a 5 yr old child.... don't give her too many choices (not, what would you like for lunch? but would you like chicken noodle soup or a tuna sandwich?) Don't beat yourself up about it, either.... you know that you are doing a wonderful job of taking good care of her. Keep that in mind and do your best.

But do make sure that your paperwork is in order, and talk to her doctor. Do you accompany her to her appointments? Someone suggested writing our questions/concerns and giving it to the staff for the doctor before he/she sees the patient, which is a great idea.

Good luck, keep in touch with us here, and remember that you didn't cause her behavior, nor can you cure it. But you can take care of yourself, mentally and physically.

o

• Posted by
    connie-k
    (gw:connie-k) on
    Tue, Nov 28, 06 at 22:30

All of the above and most importantly
Do not take what she is saying PERSONALLY. I know that is hard, but if you are not guiltly, Just let it pass right on by.
Connie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here