Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fil with dementia and hallucinations makes rude comments

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 23:50

He is in a nursing home, and I have no idea what he says when we aren't there, but I have a feeling he is saying rude things, politically incorrect things, and racist comments to the staff.

I assume they have been trained to ignore it, but what, if anything should we say when we are there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fil with dementia and hallucinations makes rude comments

The staff will understand. Yes, it's hardest for you to get used to it. You can ask the social worker at the NH for a few moments in private and express your concerns there. Or do you have a branch of the Alzheimer's Association near you? There is always someone to talk to, if you look around.

You need to express yourself. The staff deals with this all the time, but it's awfully hard for us families to deal with it.

o
RE: Fil with dementia and hallucinations makes rude comments

It's very common. The staff is trained to hear such things but not react. My uncle started spewing very racist sayings in the last year of his life. He lived at home and his dear wife took care of him. I visited once and we chatted. He used the N word several times and was very angry.I didn't argue (which I would have if he was my age and in good health). My cousins apologized to me for his rude behavior. I know it goes with the territory.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here