SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lapcat_gw

New and stressed

lapcat
14 years ago

Hello. I just signed up and though it's probably not good etiquette to write a post like this for an introduction, I'm really not sure what else to say...

I live with my 78 year old grandmother. She has several minor health issues and a history of major bone breaks due to osteoporosis. To top it all off she has a form of dementia, and as it will continue to do so, it just keeps getting worse.

Her ability to reason and use good judgment is almost nill. She CONTINUALLY puts herself in situations where she could fall AGAIN. And it's the same thing OVER AND OVER. And the repeating of questions/statements/stories every 5 minutues is wearing me thin. Lately it seems some things don't stay with her for even 2 minutes at a time. And the OBSESSIONS! Good grief! It seems like it's another roll down the hill every month. Just this past week she seems to be forgetting her meds a few mornings a week, even though they are in a daily pill box.

My Mom handles her finances once a month, calls every day or so, comes and spends an hour here and there with her, more or less takes her to all her doctor's appointments(which really aren't that many). My Aunt is pretty much as hands off as she can be unless someone really makes a deal of something.

All that being said, I am the one with her (and her 83 year old sister who lives next door) 90% of the time. I go out to get some fast food(which I do more and more lately as an excuse to leave and I am just getting more overweight), don't really go to church anymore that often, and pretty much am here for what they need.

Now I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I am just SO frustrated!!!! Why won't anyone else take the time to just come and stay with her for more than a cotton pickin hour???!!! It's not like she's in danger without supervision, but for pete's sake, she is your MOTHER. Lately she can really see that I am noticeably aggravated with her and I don't mean to be, but I am at my wits end. I am the only grandchild left and if I have to take care of my own parents/step-parents when they are older (mom's in her 50's, Dad just turned 60) (my Dad has already told me he doesn't want to be placed in a nursing home- which I would never consider anyways)...well, I just don't want to be so burned out by this that I do a horrible job of it....

Ahhhhhhhhh!! I am sorry for the rant. I appreciate this forum. I was reading a lot of the posts before I joined and ya'll seem the most genuine out of all the sites I've been reading from.

Thanks for listening.

C

Comments (7)

Sponsored