Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wheelchair advice

Posted by chris11895 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 20:46

Hi,
My Father is in a wheelchair and when he visits our house with hardwood floors we need to remove all of our area rugs otherwise he can't get over them. I'm wondering if this is because of the wheels or is this a limitation with all wheelchairs? If anyone has any advice or recommendations for a wheelchair that can work around this I would love to hear about it. He's over all of the time and I know he feels like a burden when we have to take all of the rugs up.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wheelchair advice

Does his wheelchair only have 4 small wheels, so he needs someone to push him? Generally large wheels navigate obstacles better. My experience isn't with wheelchairs but with walkers --- the small wheels aren't good for uneven surfaces.

o

I agree, it's the small wheels that are the problem with rugs - or barriers of any kind. We have no loose rugs anywhere.

o

Dad's had large wheels(just 2 of them) very large as he could grab the 1 part & push himself around, rugs on carpet or sometimes on kitchen floor were a problem, I often had to push him over the "hump" as he couldn't push hard enough. mom would not remove the rugs. In Ca. that is 1st thing they want you to change- not at their house!! So we struggled.

o

My husband uses a wheelchair in our house most of the time, b/c he can't walk much and tires easily. A few years ago, we had laminate flooring installed in our family room and a year after that in our living/dining room. We still had a couple of 5x7 rugs where he didn't need to use the wheelchair--under the dining room table and coffee table. We still had carpet in the bedrooms and it was hard for him to navigate over the carpet to the bathroom, plus it was very hard on the carpet.

About two weeks ago, we had a 4x12 area of laminate installed in the master bedroom--from doorway to entry to the bathroom. It has made a big difference in the ease with which the wheelchair moves. Fortunately, all the doorway openings are 36" wide, which allows wheelchairs to pass thru without difficulty.

It is hard for wheelchairs to go over carpeting; that's a fact! (IMO)

o

What about using clear plastic runners where the rug meets the hardwood? It might be easier to roll up the runners when he isn't visiting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here