SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandbarb_gw

Went to see dad today.

mikeandbarb
15 years ago

When I walked in there was a couple that the home had come in to entertain the residents, they are singers and was really good. I seen my dad sitting there with everyone I could not tell if he was enjoying the entertainers or not but when he seen me the only thing he could think of was telling me how awful the home is and he needs to get out ASAP. I had to go see the nurse and one of the other workers so I told dad I'd be right back I did what I needed to do and went back and sat down next to dad listening to them couple sing.

It wasn't long and they were finished and dad wanted to go to his room to talk and I excused myself telling him I needed to go talk to the nurse again, that I had to check on his medicine. dad thinks that they aren't using his own medication or something. Of course I know this isn't true dad is trying his best to come up with anything to get out, he even told them this morning that he was having chest pain and it would not stop even after they gave them his nitro pill and he told them that he needed to go to the hospital....this is the second time he's tried to come up with something to get out. When I went back to sit with dad he forgot all about wanting to go to his room to talk and just talked about what he had to say in the living area. Boy does he ever have a good imagination, he told me that the guy he rooms with was hitting the window with his walking cane and told dad he was next. Now I have seen the guy around for the past 3 weeks and all he does all day is sit out in the living area or in the office when someone is in there. I know something's dad says is true but I have to watch and see for myself what is going on at the home and it's is one of the best.

They are looking into getting me help with dad in taking him to the doctor when needed.

Dad keeps asking why other residents get to go out and he doesn't and I told him that there is a transition before he can go out with me. I told him I'll ask if he can go get an ice cream next time I come over and he asked when will that be.

The problem is that dad's mind isn't that bad it's other problems like not holding on to or retaining info. he sometimes has trouble with conversations but most of the time he's ok, so being around people that are far more advanced with dementia is hard for him to see or watch. He thinks some of the people there are ok and he can talk to them. Today he told me that one of the new guys is from his area of town and worked at the meat company Swift so they had a lot in common to talk about.

Tomorrow they have their monthly meeting and I will be going, it will be good to hear from other family members on what they have to say about the place.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner