SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnier_gw

Mom's getting discouraged!

ginnier
17 years ago

My Mom and Dad are living in a retirement home, they have a 3 room apt with 2 baths. A nice place, meals provided, housekeeping too. My Mom's mental abilities are still relatively sharp but physically she is very feeble. Dad's the opposite, sadly. He's had a small stroke and probably a bit of dementia, but physically he's pretty good. He's forgotten how to put a battery in something---oh, one interesting thing that he's started doing: he forgets that he has put his napkin on his lap when we go out to eat and then he asks where's the napkins??? He acts pretty chagrined when he realizes that the napkin's there on his lap and he hangs his head and says I should know that, I put it there!

Anyway Mom thinks she can find someone to solve Dad's problems, the mental slowness. We have talked to the Drs, and tried diff. meds, no change. She needs a support person. Who do you go to? Does the retirement village usually have someone that does this? I probably should just call and ask...but she's gets rather discouraged at this now silent, practically, husband. She says it's like living with a 5 year old, do this, put this away, look in the 2nd drawer for your pjs, not the 3rd.

The village has a home health business in it that provides individual care; I wonder if I should have my folks evaluated. Mom would get her dander up at that; she'd get all protective--"we can manage on our own". She is soo proud.

I tend to let them go on their own and assume all is pretty much okay. Then on the days that I am in town, I get them out and about, shop a very little, out for lunch, go for a ride...they don't want to be out too long cuz they do get tired...

I don't know whether to try and get a stranger in there to talk to mom about her situation. I just can't believe she'd "open up" and unload.

Thanks for letting me ramble.... Gin

Comments (3)

Sponsored