SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcrowex

moving parents in with us

dcrowex
14 years ago

My inlaws are in their 80s and we have decided to move them in with us. They are lovely people, basically self sufficient with average health problems related to this age. However, they are several states away and we have offered for them to move in with us so we can care for them and they have accepted. The issue - we have a 2 story house and they cannot handle steps. Stair rails or platform risers are not an option - they are afraid to be on the second floor.

So we are converting my current formal living room/dining room into a suite for them, adding a shower to the 1/2 bath. we are prepared to make whatever accomodations they need to make them comfortable. this is going to cost quite a bit but we will manage it somehow.

any suggestions on making this transition easier? how to handle the set up of these rooms? we are having a private entrance to their bathroom added so they dont have to come out to the main living area each time. my MIL is on oxygen and my FIL has had double hip replacement. The easiest option would have been to give them the master bedroom on the second floor and simply install a walk in shower but they cannot and do not wish to have the stairs.

we are still trying to figure out after meeting with installers, how to go about this construction. has anyone else had to do this? remodel the house to accomodate the family? i just hope we are making it is livable and lovable as I have in my mind.

guess i am just thinking out loud.

debbie

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living