SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairegold

Mother is just fading

fairegold
18 years ago

There's nothing new to report, but she's fading away right in front of my eyes.

Last March (maybe April?) she weighted 88 lb. In early July she was 82. By the time she moved into the nursing home, she was at 79. Then she started to gain a little and got stronger, and she was at about 82 when she moved back to her apt. in late August. Two weeks ago at a normal doctor appt, she was down to 78.1. Before May, she used a walker only sometimes. Now she can barely walk at all without it. When we had lunch today, I could just see that she's hardly trying to be social... she's barely there, so to speak. (No AD or dementia, tho.)

She wants me to give her a 'regular' day every week, but this is somehting that I refuse to do. Maybe I am stubborn, but my life has always been a little erratic. So one day I take a dog to the vet, or I have a dentist appt or run errands or have a repair or yardman at the house. And it is never the same day every week. Mother came from that era when she got her hair done every Friday, bridge was every Tuesday, Carpool was every Weds., etc. But I simply cannot do that.... life is more complicated than it was in the 50's!

Her community has a shuttle bus and takes people to appts several days a week. It turns out that she feels "stupid" getting onto the bus using the lift, and when she tried the steps into the bus, she slipped. I've told her that I can take her every so often, but not the same day of the week every two weeks. But I don't know how to address this with her right now. One of her friends said she'd do a little encouragement about the bus. Of course, she could get her hair done at the shop there in the community, but she long ago decided that she didn't like that. Sigh.

Anyway, it's minor fussing on my part. Thanks for letting me fuss!

Comments (16)

Sponsored