Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bed pressure pad seem uncomfortable

Posted by mar_cia (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 16:24

Hospice brought in a pad for moms bed that has pockets that fill every so often with air (the electric part hangs on the bottom of the bed). I felt it and it just feels soooo bumpy - I can't imagine that it is comfortable when you are used to a smooth bed. Also, the air coming on and off seemed to bother mom and make her restless. She lives in a home. I got a call the other night that she got up after going to bed (unusual) and fell. I asked them to take it off for now. Mom is not actually bed-ridden yet. It won't be long because she isn't eating much at all and sleeps a lot on the couch or chair...but when she is bedridden we can put it back on. After reading some other posts, it sounds like you have been pleased with this kind of mattress pad, so maybe it is just me imagining things?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bed pressure pad seem uncomfortable

It really seemed to help my mother. She was confined to bed almost all the time during the last couple of months of her illness and she was always complaining of pain. Once hospice got her the air mattress (at my request), she didn't wince or moan again. They are specially designed for the bedbound people. It might take a bit of getting used to by the patient.

o

We tried the mattress that filled with air for my husband. Too hard and bumpy and noisy. Ended up with my sister-in-law bringing us a memory foam pad that she bought at Bed Bath & Beyone (I think it was their brand, but not sure..tall large box). It ended up being the perfect mattress topper/pad. Used it for the entire 6 months and not one bed sore. I highly recommend a memory foam topper.

o

Thanks so much for the feedback. I was thinking about the memory foam too....at least I know there is an option besides the air mattress.

o

Hi Mar cia, Al had one of these pads in the hospital when he had his leg amputated, and because of a ton of raw skin, it was recommended that we buy one of these for at home, he said that it didn't make him feel any better at all and you are right about the noise. I ended up buying from wal-mart a foam pad about 2 inches thick and it seemed to be cut in about 2 inch squares,i bought the king size - for 2.00 moreand folded it in half, then -- this will sound really stupid but you save a TON of money here, a dog's bed pad 24 x 36, it has sheep skin on one side, plus it was at one of those super grocery stores in the clearance for 4.88!! regular 44.88!!! i think Al has had one bed sore (about 2 months ago. because of the heat and the depends can't breath). i thinks it's like people liking certain books, or shopping at certain stores, what one likes, the other may not. let us know if you pick the memory foam,-- really expensive here even at Wal-mart, it might be a good idea for a Christmas gift for Al (sounds like i'm cheap, but when you are all grown up youseem to buy anything when you want, or can dream!!) debbie

o

HI...We used 3" Geomat for both of my parents. It is a foam matress over-lay which I got from the hospital supply dealer. $85 and worth every penny. My mom was on it for 2 years, turned regularly, and careful skin care...no bedsores, even tho she was emaciated. There are lots of good options if the alternating pressure mattress does not suit. But changing position, keeping dry and clean, avoidance of abrasion by dragging on the sheets, etc are all as important as the mattress. Good luck in finding an alternative. I would say try them, you can always go back to the air mattress. Derry

o

Marcia, I was able to adjust the pressure pad to a comfortable level for Mother. It was just fine midway between 1 & 2. She liked me to lay with her occasionally, and I found it very comfortable at that setting. Any higher than that, and the "bumps" were really hard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here