SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kat1760

Don't know what to do...

Kat1760
12 years ago

Hi everyone...

I just joined here because I need some advice. My mother in law has always been a selfish, controlling, and dependent person. She made her husband do EVERYTHING for her (including answering and talking to people who called for her)and cooking etc. I hate to say it, but she ran him to an early grave as he was very ill, and she was still making him do everything. Two years ago, he passed away. After he died, I started helping her because she didn't know how to do anything...and I mean anything! Slowly, I noticed that she was treating me exactly as she did her husband. She was perfectly fine, at that time, yet claimed she "didn't know how to make a sandwich"....instead of arguing, I started making her lunch for her....shortly after, she fell and broke her hip. She was diagnosed with mild dementia. My life right now is not my own....everything revolves around her. From the moment I get up till I close my eyes at night I am serving her. My "husband" does NOTHING. He pushes it off on me. He is very sick, but he could help a little, but doesn't. I can't even talk to him because he doesn't want to hear it. I am not exaggerating when I say that I do everything but wipe her behind. She will not talk to anyone on the phone, and makes me talk to them for her. When we go to the doctor, she makes me talk to him, and does not want to know anything....she tells the doctor "tell HER"....she doesn't even know what medicine she takes. I have to get up every morning and get her medicine ready just like her husband did. Now these things are not from dementia, this was going on before that when she was healthy! She doesn't drive, and she refuses to do anything for herself. Lately she is getting some nasty habits...sleeping in her clothes "I'm not dirty!"....refuses to put the tiny squares of toilet paper she rips up and covered in feces in the portable toilet overnight. I found walmart bags full of feces covered tiny squares of paper next to her bed. She thinks the people on TV can see her and won't let anyone turn on the TV until she "wakes up"....there is no reasoning with her....she does not understand anything and she doesn't want to. She just wants to sit in that recliner and get everyone else to do it for her.There is no reason why she can't make herself a sandwich every now and then. But she'll sit in that chair and go hungry until someone finally makes it for her. She won't even scoop ice cream out for herself! She will come and wake me up to put icecream in a bowl for her when she can't sleep. I'm sorry I'm rambling, but there is just so much. I am FRIED and I don't know how much longer I can take it. Oh...and she has a sister who won't help, that's all the family she has besides her son. She has NO friends...because of how she is. As long as I have known her (16 years) I have only seen company come to her house maybe 3 or 4 times, and that was her brother (now deceased) I can't live in isolation like this any longer....I don't know what to do...

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz