Return to the Care Givers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a good source for senior housing

Posted by gerina (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 15:08

Hi All - In 2007 I could no longer personally provide adequate care for my mother. I'd already done 4 years w/out any help and she now required 24 care. A social worker from Kaiser gave me a booklet called "New Lifestyles" - "The Source For Seniors". It was a Godsend for me to have this booklet because it listed a variety of facilities/homes based on the person's required level of care. It was like a yellow pages, but also listed things, for example stairs, willing to take ambulatory vs non-ambulatory, dementia, blind...

Here is the phone number and web address. They supposedly cover the entire US and Canada.

1-800-869-9549 www.NewLifeStyles.com

Through this booklet I found a very good place for my mom to live and it met her needs perfectly. As most caregivers know, things can change very quickly and one needs to act fast. This source cut my research time by several days. I hope this info will be of benefit to someone. Geri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a good source for senior housing

Thanks for the infomation.

One thing to do in choosing a home, is to visit several and compare. What level of staffing? Visit on weekends and late in the evenings. Is the place still clean even though the bulk of the housekeeping staff is off duty?

I remember one home that I visited. It looked wonderful...until we passed one wing. The stench came out into the hall. My guide said, "that's where we keep the sickies." Her attitude and the lack of cleanliness for the "sickies" showed more about the level of care than anything else. I marked it off my list.

o

Agnes, I visited one that had a hall like that. The explanation was "we always change them after they eat". So they sit with dirty depends while they eat. Can't they close the doors so the smell doesn't carry everywhere? I never went back there. There is a site on the internet that also gives the inspection reports for each home in your state.

o

I hope each of you called the state medical board of licensing- to report the stench. A clean unit does not smell!
Remember- as long as these places are allowed to get away with it, they will.
And you may end up in there sometime in your life- you don't always have the option of where you will go.
You can also have to use the facility at a young age- not having to wait until you are old and unable to care for yourself.
If you were to be injured, and were medically stable, you might need weeks/months of rehab. these places are where you go to do rehab.
If it is bad- REPORT IT!!
You have a moral obligation! You are helping these people live in misery if you do not report it!
ilmbg(RN)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Care Givers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here